How do I flat spin?

Mr Ed

Playing with the Luna on Wednesday I had it happily rolling looping and spinning but how do I do a flat spin rather than the normal "lose speed and then bang in elevator and rudder approach"? And equally importantly any different way needed to ensure a consistent recovery.

Can you flat spin without the propwash and gyroscopic effects from a fan ? Assuming that you can, try feeding in opposite aileron once you get it into a normal spin. Steve

I can only get one of my gliders to do a proper flat spin and then only inverted.The CofG is actually a bit too far backfor normal aerobatics and the elevator and rudder movements are massive, I enter by slowing it up and stalling with the aplication of full down elevator and rudder as it starts to stall, as its spinning I flatten it out a bit with opposite aeleron. To get it out I centralise the rudder and give a bit of up elevator. It dosnt work if I have snap flap mixed in.Just bought a Wasabi and looking forward to seeing if that will do it. Roger

Edited by Bear

Mr Ed said:

So I try opposite aileron or spend £2500 and wait 8 months?Hmmmmm.
Or, you could nab my old V-tail Wiz off the guy I sold it to when he flies it off Portland/Weymouth slopesIt does really wild flicks/spins on high ratesand revovery – oh yeah – it doesnt – it gets stuck in the spin – only way out is full down elevator – fun stuffand – getting into a spin from a high-speed flick with full aileron/rudder/elevator is more fun than the stally waffly stuffPhil. Edited by Phil.Taylor

Mr Ed said:

So I try opposite aileron or spend £2500 and wait 8 months?Hmmmmm.
In my experience it does seem to depend a lot on the model.  Another one that does it real well (particularly inverted) is the Reichard Fox.

My cyril will do a very elegant` inverted flat spin if I turn the elevator up and pull too hard from straight and level flight with very little airspeed. It comes out of it fairly readily by neutralising the sticks and letting it pick up some speed.Best to get some height before trying it though, not recommended during an F3F run at just above head height

George Young

Some models will and some won't.Slowly introducing opposite aileron can get it going as well as adding less or even opposite elevator. Take care to plan how you are going to recover and do this early and high the first few times because it can take a few (several) turns to stop. eek.gif Your model may recover by neutalising the sticks but you may need to try some different control inputs. Re-establish a normal spin and then recover as usual generally works.I have seen a power model which would not recover from a well established flat spin censored.gifGeorge