Frsky Taranis - the ultimate glider radio?

Rob Thomson

Tilman Baumann

AFAIK flight phases have their own trims by default. That might be why you don't see it.

Rob Thomson

You do it in then flight modes screen.

By default, they use their own. You can then change them to use another mode as the source.

Rob Thomson

Not sure it is for that project.. But they have Taranis and Horus.  Both are celtic gods :-)

guy mckenzie

I understand it won't work with early FrSky Rxs only V8FR-11 versions. I hear the work around is to plug your (old) FrSky module into the JR slot on the Taranis Tx. Dumb question but do you end up with two Tx antenna?

I like many have several 'old' pre -11 Rxs

Guy

Rob Thomson

It would probably be possible to hack in some kind of internal aerial.

I plan to do that with a dsm module.

guy mckenzie

Got an email saying the taranis should arrive end of May or early June.

Looking forward to having a play

T

Me too Tom. I hope I can handle it!

I understand it won't work with early FrSky Rxs only V8FR-11 versions. I hear the work around is to plug your (old) FrSky module into the JR slot on the Taranis Tx. Dumb question but do you end up with two Tx antenna?

I like many have several 'old' pre -11 Rxs

Guy

I hope that isn't true, I hate it when things aren't made backwards compatible :(

Me too, one of the reasons to upgrade was to stop messing about with the switches on the back of the transmitter for 2 way and non telemertry. 2 aerials looks a bit naff as well.

The reason why the Taranis won't transmit in one-way mode is simple... FrSky sold way more units than they had planned, and ran out of unique IDs for the non-telemetry system.

So if they sold more one-way capable systems there would be duplicates.

Me too, one of the reasons to upgrade was to stop messing about with the switches on the back of the transmitter for 2 way and non telemertry. 2 aerials looks a bit naff as well.

I wonder if there is any hardware difference in the TX modules, if not then they could make it a function of the TX software and rx type could be a parameter of each model memory.

Question for Rob please, would it not be a bad idea to start a sticky with all the relevant downloads,templates and important posts etc in one place that can only be altered or added to by you beta guys as it would make it easy for us all to find relative information/answers in one place rather than dig around to search out? I think there will be lots and lots of questions being asked when people get their hands on this tx.

Also is this system useable in conjunction with MPX telemetry gear or a module for it? only I have seen somewhere that is is but no posts confirming this? 

guy mckenzie

The reason why the Taranis won't transmit in one-way mode is simple... FrSky sold way more units than they had planned, and ran out of unique IDs for the non-telemetry system.

So if they sold more one-way capable systems there would be duplicates.

OK, as I understand it to use the V8FR-11 with the Taranis you have to jumper the Rx signal pins 1 &2 with the jumper provided (why did I get 2?) Does this not reduce the Rx from 8 to 6 channels?