F3J 2014?

Peter

We need the result to show consistency over as many comps as possible. It has become clear that we are unable to have the number of UK comps that we once had but we need to have competed in at least three events over the season. My belief is that best 2 out of 3 is insufficient to show consistency. My vote is for all 3 UK comps to count. One Eurotour result can be substituted for one of these so still having 3 scores to count. 

Colin 

• Like 2

At Last!

it has been suggested a couple of times now to include all 3 qualifying events, I'm in full agreement with that.

Being able to count a Euro result is ok by me, tho' it's never helped me on the 3 or 4 times I've tried, even when I won the league many moons ago... :wacko:

I agree with Colin that consistency needs to be rewarded, but then somebody would complain that a team place can be achieved without actually winning any competitions... (again)!

Mike.

Bob Dickenson

Off on hols to Oz tomorrow for a couple of weeks. You Know where my vote lies.

Will probably buy a gyro when I get back & enter all the eurotours to improve my chances of team selection(would put a smiley face here if I knew how to do it)

Bernie's weekend I will attend if at all possible in whatever format it becomes.

My help at any competion will be available when required.

If we are to maintain any kind of league, then it will require the help & cooperation of all regular competitors to keep it alive.

LOL Bob

• 2 weeks later...
Brian Johnson

I don’t like these debates on the forums as quite often those who have no intention of competing get involved and alter the balance of the debate just for the sake of it, however, Austin has persuaded me that I should at least throw my twopennorth in.

I have always said there should only be two team selection events with a minimum of 10 rounds per event and NO discarded scores – you are competing for a World Championship place here. The total score you get is the score which counts at the end of the second event, and so, my suggestion is: -

1/ 2 x 2 day events, with dates, and reserve dates published early in the year so that all interested pilots can decide whether they want to go or not and arrange their holidays etc. accordingly.

2/ no dropped scores, no fly-offs, no bonus points, all rounds to count.

3/ these events should be entirely separate from Radioglide (BARCS event), or the Nationals which is a stand-alone British Championship with too many classes to allow for 2 day contests anyway.

4/ the matrix should be constructed in the same way as the Electric fliers matrix. No teams and everybody flies against everybody else, no excuses! I know that the matrix can be constructed to do this and I know there will be arguments about “not being able to fly in a team” etc.etc. BUT if you can’t do it without a specific team helping then it’s the team that is winning not the pilot, but it’s the pilot who qualifies!!! The winches could be set about 5 metres apart and even with 20 pilots that’s only a 100 metre flight line.

5/ to make sure that those who don’t do well in the first event at least think twice about not bothering with the second one, the entry fee should be set at something like £100.00/£120.00 for the two events, basically double the “normal” 2 day entry fee and payable on entry as you must enter both events.

After all pilots have completed both events (unless prevented from doing so by accidents/genuine sickness, not a cold or even man flu) they get 50% returned which makes each event only £25.00/£30.00 the same as now. Those who fail to turn up for the second round because of poor scores/lack of interest etc. (unless incapacitated or really ill) forfeit the rest of their entry fee which goes to the team travel fund.

I’m sure that there would be a massive argument against this but if you can afford £3000/4000 for models etc. and fuel for the car to go to competitions then £50.00/£60.00 is neither here nor there.

As for the “fine tuning” of this, or whatever the team selection turns out to be that is for others to decide.

I am against leagues as they just allow for percentage players and cost too much to go to if there are several events. I intend to do some Eurotours again next year and would not like to miss out on the UK team selections.

I also agree that Eurotour events are very good for improving flying skills and participation in these should be encouraged, however I do not see how they can reasonably be incorporated into the UK team selection process.

Brian.

• Like 1

thermaldoctor

Even one team trial works for some countries. The Australians use Jerilderie - something like 12 or 14 rounds with no fly-offs. They do allow the one dropped score after round 8 though.

The Americans use a one off team select event as do the Canadians and NZ I believe so it can work if UK pilots want to let it and think it is the right way to go.

I think it is

A little bit of research shows that different countries use various methods of team selection because of differing circumstances. The size of the US, Canada and Australia means that potential team members can be thousands of miles apart so a single trial makes sense. The Germans use a number of Eurotour events to which they can relatively easily travel. NZ uses 2 events and drops one score. However it doesn't matter what system they use, Joe Wurts still wins!

The SFTC have often talked about team trials and rejected the idea because a single trial relies too heavily on luck and the UK weather. Two trials are better in this respect then why not have three? Or even a league?

Regardless of the merits or otherwise of separate trial(s) they still have to be organised and run by someone. Obviously not a competing pilot because with 3.5 -4m models and spots 5m apart the CD will be spending most of the time sorting out reflights after the mid airs!

So who is volunteering to run these events? It's no good saying 'I want' without the 'I will do'.

• 3 weeks later...

Has this thread now gone dead because someone has had a GOOD idea on the team selection 

I think that LBJ has hit it on the head with the way to go with F3J

Why include a eurotour you trying to get on the UK team so it should only be UK comps that apply

2x 2 day events may get more entries from the NORTH 

Also I think you need to sort what format is going to used before you start with 

"So who is volunteering to run these events? It's no good saying 'I want' without the 'I will do'."

Rick Lloyd

• Administrators

Has this thread now gone dead because someone has had a GOOD idea on the team selection 

I think that LBJ has hit it on the head with the way to go with F3J

Why include a eurotour you trying to get on the UK team so it should only be UK comps that apply

2x 2 day events may get more entries from the NORTH 

Also I think you need to sort what format is going to used before you start with 

"So who is volunteering to run these events? It's no good saying 'I want' without the 'I will do'."

Rick Lloyd

I think its been explained enough the reasons to include a Eurotour. It makes sense from an experience point of view and if someone can't make one of the UK events for whatever reason they can use a Eurotour and at least have a chance to qualify for the team.

Trying to accommodate everyone is difficult. Even when all were included from a couple of seasons ago only 1 or 2 people bothered with the major F3J events so lets not start with the North thing again  :huh: