Ridge Ryder

Darren_O

Just thought I'd post a pic or two as I paint it. 

Bought it without it's usual decals, so it's getting a Luftwaffe/Horten style makeover. Might annoy the scale types enough to give me a chuckle...base colour grey and some green spots on so far. Will build layers up and keep the wingtips yellow. Just need to find some Luftwaffe decals in the right size. "Ho229" a couple of crosses and a swastika on the tips should do it....

IMG_20170319_214442.jpg

.....and yet if you go to Munich and stand under the portico of the Art Gallery, there they are still...

Never considered that Pete. My grandad is still with us, dunkirk and d-day vet. Might skip them. I still wouldn't like a clip off him at 90!

SilentPilot

I've a few of these Ridge Ryders myself!

You've given me some inspiration on what to do with my unpainted version.  Don't think I'll do any German colour schemes though...

Have you flown yours yet? What do you think? I got some funny comments about mine from some guys, but it's proved itself in alsorts of conditions which included at Levisham in measured 40+mph winds, it did real good :D 

Tony

• Like 1

Unflown as yet, looking forward to throwing it off the Orme into a good blow. Did you tape yours up or fly as is? Noticed HK have them back down to £45 PNF so I might get another with the decals on.

SilentPilot

Flown as it is.

The thing I've noticed with these RR's is they like to be heavy. I've given up trying to make a lightweight version for low winds, I tried a tiny Rx pack but couldn't seem to get it balanced, instead I load them up with a 4S 'AA' Rx pack and full ballast for use in fuller winds. 

I may yet tape one up but I fear I don't have the time or the skills to do a proper job...

• Like 1

That's good to hear, I wanted it to fly heavy, very rare to get light lift days. Did you use the provided ballast? I saw on RCgroups some were making lead plates instead,seems a lot of effort if the tubes work.

SilentPilot

Yeah, I just used the provided ballast. 

Be sure to only use the heavy stuff though. The pack is a mix of metal and plastic pellets. 

I've got 3 sets of ballast and there's enough of the heavy stuff to fill the tubes now! 

Add in a heavy AA Rx pack and a not particularly small receiver and it soon gets loaded up :) 

It flies well in winds that some people shyed away from with their mouldies!!!

• Like 1

Electrics all fitted, bit of a squeeze with a 4s AA RX pack but I got it all in. Just need to finish the canopy off now. As you can see by the nose, she's flown already and collected a few battle scars...
In very little lift it really scooted about, would have been better model without so much built in reflex I think.

IMG_20170408_123035.jpg

IMG_20170408_130222.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hello, i have a Ridge Ryder but want to buy some more for combat flying with my mates, they are great little wings. However they are discontinued with HK, can anybody tell me where i can still buy them?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...