Bye Bye Taranis

Skip

Mines a little stiff at the moment, but spring tension and a friction damper are all adjustable on the Jeti. 

Just a lot of screws to take out to remove the back. 

Well some strong views for/against FrSky gear. My own experiences reflect this, but I'm happy to cut FrSky a little slack in order to reach the OpenTx pot of gold.

For what it's worth, my own X9D is 5 years old, and serious issues have been limited to (a) three trim failures and (b) a broken spring. Not perfect, but hardly dreadful either. I've recently fitted M9 Hall effect sticks, these are silky smooth and have given the tx a new lease of life.

On the airborne side, like many I had range problems with some early X6R receivers (solved by binning them), but I've found the X8R to be a good and reliable workhorse in three  F3F models. 

When going to a comp, I keep a spare X9D Plus in the car (with cloned setup), but in 5 years and many comps, I've never had to use it.  My spares box contains an external XJT module and spare trim assemblies. The ability to have some equipment redundancy and to do simple home repairs is a distinguishing feature of FrSky radios, some like the ability some think it should never be necessary, I tend to take a middle view. 

Flashing OpenTx is simple enough on the X9D and X7 (which already comes with it installed), but I would agree that it's more difficult than it should be with the X10 and X12 which comes with FrOS.

Bear in mind that my X9D has a serial number of 77 preceded by lots of zeros and things have moved on.  I couldn't help noticing most of the pilots shown in tonight's BoB Model Squadron were flying with OpenTx transmitters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rc-soar said:

I couldn't help noticing most of the pilots shown in tonight's BoB Model Squadron were flying with OpenTx transmitters.

well spotted mike, we supplied over 40 radios to the show

• Like 3

If it wasn't for FRSky pushing the envelope we'd get nowhere. I've got over 30 models on my Horus and it's never skipped a beat despite being used almost daily. It even comes to work with me for a quick half hr at lunch with my Ahi.

Flashing etc is out of some people's comfort zone, but T9 can do all that and it's silly cheap to have it done.  

17 hours ago, rc-soar said:

Well some strong views for/against FrSky gear. My own experiences reflect this, but I'm happy to cut FrSky a little slack in order to reach the OpenTx pot of gold.

For what it's worth, my own X9D is 5 years old, and serious issues have been limited to (a) three trim failures and (b) a broken spring. Not perfect, but hardly dreadful either. I've recently fitted M9 Hall effect sticks, these are silky smooth and have given the tx a new lease of life.

On the airborne side, like many I had range problems with some early X6R receivers (solved by binning them), but I've found the X8R to be a good and reliable workhorse in three  F3F models. 

When going to a comp, I keep a spare X9D Plus in the car (with cloned setup), but in 5 years and many comps, I've never had to use it.  My spares box contains an external XJT module and spare trim assemblies. The ability to have some equipment redundancy and to do simple home repairs is a distinguishing feature of FrSky radios, some like the ability some think it should never be necessary, I tend to take a middle view. 

Flashing OpenTx is simple enough on the X9D and X7 (which already comes with it installed), but I would agree that it's more difficult than it should be with the X10 and X12 which comes with FrOS.

Bear in mind that my X9D has a serial number of 77 preceded by lots of zeros and things have moved on.  I couldn't help noticing most of the pilots shown in tonight's BoB Model Squadron were flying with OpenTx transmitters.

The mk1 taranis was ok. I've replaced the screen and gimbals on mine. The gimbals for standard not HAL. I dunno its ok, but if it was spektrum or futaba or Jr i believe people would moan even if they were budget sets. E.g  I think the dx6 was better made than the taranis and frsky had most of the software work done free.

As you say it can be worth it for opentx and for the low costs.  Clever move by frsky to go with opentx. I don't think a chinese maker would have got anywhere with a taranis box with proprietary software.  

Oh yeah i replaced the trim as well. I remember the ele trim failed during an f3b comp. 

A lot of people like jeti but the prices of the txs are pretty eye watering. Mind you so are lost models (cough cough ...x9e )

Opentx does bring high end functionality to everyone though.

• Like 2