Sitar Special 88" (International Sailplanes) Info Required!

Mikey69

Interesting, was the Jewel a commercially available thing, or a one off? I've only got one picture of it, but would be interesting to find out a bit more, it made quite an impact on my youthful self. 

8 hours ago, robtc3uk said:

Talking of sitar i a have 100" one I would part with for the right offer it's old but not in to bad conditions for a very old glider. 

I'd love to, but I couldn't make an offer that would be anything like the value as things are at the moment, and I wouldn't want to insult you by doing so. 

15 hours ago, robtc3uk said:

Dave jewel was amazing saw that first at tonbridge open we had never seen anything like it before!  . Talking of sitar i a have 100" one I would part with for the right offer it's old but not in to bad conditions for a very old glider. 

Hi Robtc3uk,

good to meet your acquaintence. I've PM'd you regarding your 100" Sitar,

Best wishes, Mike

Hi Rob,

Wow! that's very tasty! Very much a thing of beauty indeed!

Thanks for sharing!

I've PM'd you!

Cheers, Mike

• 1 year later...
GlennCurtis
On 23/04/2019 at 03:33, Mikey69 said:

Hi all,

I acquired a lovely looking International Sailplanes Sitar Special 88" slope glider from Ebay some months ago. I've finally got around to getting the bits together to get it airworthy. I've been searching the WWW for information on the model, but it seems there is very little available. Apparently the model featured in a 'slopeside' article in RCME in May 2006.  Does anyone happen to have a copy of the article they could scan/email  to me? - I'd be happy to pay for your time/materials. Apparently there is a gentleman who calls himself 'SlopetrashUK', who is considered knowledgeable, but i can't find out any more about him.

Can anyone provide any information about this model? Does anyone have one? I's love to find out more/chat about the model. i have a few ideas to modify the model and would love to talk these through with a former/current Sitar flier. (I'm not happy with the wing joiner, I' m thinking of adding flaps, etc).

Finally, i belive a 100" wingspan version was also available? I'd love to acquire one of those! So, if anyone has one they are using, but are willing to sell, or else anyone has one lanquishing in an attic or garage then i'd be interested in buying it,

I look forward to reading any replies,

With thanks,

Mike

40 years ago I was really into RC slope gliders as a teen in San Diego, CA. My study of European radio control magazines led me to an ad with the Sitar Special. I thought this was the best looking plane. A few years later, while my sister was visiting the UK, I asked if she would go to the small hobby shop somewhere in a valley in Wales to buy me this model. She did and sent it to me (no Internet and easy click to buy those days). I built it and flew it a few times on the famous Torrey Pines cliffs at the glider port. One day however, someone turned on a radio using my frequency, and the glider was put out of control and crashed on the hard surface of the cliff tops. I had ordered another replacement fuselage and canopy. To this day, I still have the new fuselage in my possession, it has moved with me to college, and to Seattle, and many moves in the area over my career. I could never part with it, thinking someday, maybe I would make my own set of wings out of foam and carbon or other. It never has happened. I'm willing to let someone have it if they want it. 

keith fisher

Sailplane international sitar 100 inch built in lock down 2020 from kit acquired from deceased modeler 

IMG_20200413_124916.jpg

• Like 4