F3K and Mozzy 14-day challenges 2020

tonym

Hi David, 

ive since sold my last plane but just before I did I had 5 of the 600 round cells, I went through 2 of them and had nothing but issues. Switched back to a Giant Power branded flat cell and all good again. I’d never put one of those round cells in my plane ever again. 

55 minutes ago, cirrusRC said:

11 degrees, grey sky, no wind and no feathered friends.     Wasn't sure what to expect as sky didn't look too promising.   Figured the lift would be super light and flights short.

Started with the Orange NXT,   worked some light lift and then started to get away properly.  12 mins in I lost my ailerons!!!  2nd time this has happened in 18 months with this model.   Managed to bring it down on full left rudder and made the field with no damage.    Change of underpants required!

1S 1000mah round cell,  reported 3.9volts.   On landing it started to work again and then went really slow until it stopped.    MKS in the wings that need more voltage than KST in the fuse.     Convinced these 1000mah Nanotech round cells are crap compared to the brilliant 1200mah cells (no longer available).    Pretty sure my wiring is fine.

Switched to my old pink NXT which I'd just repaired.    First fly since Buckminster when I creased the wing due to lack of repair after a midair the previous year (leading edge cracked which weakened the wing).       This model is old,  had many repairs and  held together with tape but still thermals better than the newer NXT.

Off the launch the lift was light,  had to work hard to double launch height.  At around 23 minutes I was in trouble and low,  I got a read and switched to super thermal mode,  right on the stall point but managed multiple saves before suddenly finding some decent and surprisingly strong lift.    Wound my way all the way to 400 meters.      Burnt off some height hoping to find the same lift but never found it.   Slowly came down to around 40 meters when I picked up some more light lift and the hour looked very doable.    At this point the sun made its first appearance of the day.    The lift went super turbulent and then fizzled out.   I eked out a few more minutes 10 meters off the deck and finally came down.       Was certainly not expecting such a good flight given the time of year,  temperature and lack of sun.    Very chuffed.     Gutted we didn't have a comp this weekend but this flight made up for it.

David | 55 mins 2 seconds | Expert | NXT | 17th October

nxtoct.thumb.JPG.ecfed6742dd6b4d2f6b246248bfe926e.JPG

not sure why the alt trace is not showing - retrying.

nxtoct.thumb.JPG.da5aaffd506a0abfd1bef6b66d997ac0.JPG

Mark - yes, I think I will try a flat based cell, as I've heard other negative experiences with these round cells.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Went out after lunch - cool calmish and only slight lift at times. Weather looks good tomorrow as well.

I had planned it as a final fling but a detailed look at the new (today) legislation means I can go on through this four week lockdown.

Mikef | 3:30 | Expert | Vibe | 4th November

New legislation here -

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1200/pdfs/uksi_20201200_en.pdf

see (d) near the top of page 7

I am reminded today in a notice sent to clubs that the BMFA advises against flying alone - in case of an accident.

Edited by mikef
Last sentence added.
  • Like 1

I also got out yesterday.   Just 30 minutes during my lunch break.    Quite breezy but there was some lift about.    Most flights were 3-4 mins.   The last flight of the session I found some decent lift and climbed out but had to dive down as ran out of time.

Was fun to get out briefly.   No club flying until after lock down but fingers crossed I can still get some airtime in somewhere else.

• 4 weeks later...

First fly since lock down, good to be out.  Light winds, cold and misty.  Cold killed by battery after 90 minutes.   Couple of nice 8 min flights where I maintained launch height in some light lift.  With the very low cloud, climb outs were off the cards.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cracker of a day today for January, completely different from that forecast.   3 degrees but felt much warmer in the sun.  Best conditions between 11 am and 12:30pm.   Had the best of it with my RES model,  but also had a nice flight with the DLG.     Straight off the launch found some lift and slowly worked my way up to 175 meters,  before slowly coming down.     

David | 15 min 16 seconds | Pink NXT | 2nd Jan 2021

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I celebrated the first day of 'recreation allowed again' with a trip to the local common- nobody within 100m at any time - only saw two seagulls and a dozen humans.  Very light variable winds, 8C and some nice 'not too easy' lift.   Got a 7:15 and while I was recording it, noticed a warm calming.  Straight back up into lift overhead for a better one....

Mike F, F3K, 'expert', Vibe Mk 1, 10:09, March 8th 2021.

Finished with a practice 'last flight only' and got the max on the fourth launch - three distinct bits of help made it an interesting flight.

Lovely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thechalster
18 hours ago, mikef said:

I celebrated the first day of 'recreation allowed again' with a trip to the local common- nobody within 100m at any time - only saw two seagulls and a dozen humans.  Very light variable winds, 8C and some nice 'not too easy' lift.   Got a 7:15 and while I was recording it, noticed a warm calming.  Straight back up into lift overhead for a better one....

Mike F, F3K, 'expert', Vibe Mk 1, 10:09, March 8th 2021.

Finished with a practice 'last flight only' and got the max on the fourth launch - three distinct bits of help made it an interesting flight.

Lovely.

Great to here your having fun,  we forget how much we enjoy this when it is taken away from us.  

• 2 weeks later...

Got out on the common for an hour this afternoon - wind 3-6 mph - decent bits of choppy lift at times.  Best flight was at about 1610.

Mike F, F3K, 'expert', Vibe Mk 1, 6:08  March 22nd 2021.

I'm not sure if this fails to improve the current challenge or starts a new one.

• Like 1