Slope Flying at St Agnes Head.

f3fisa

Allen Elliott

I see the BMFA has now put out an email to state we cant fly there, only 6 moths late. Thanks BMFA

I am going to Crantock late August early Sept

A list/link of local slopes for all directions would be appreciated 

• Like 1

The national trust must have some amazing people working for it. Imagine knowing someone is in the bmfa from a distance or via a 2nd hand report.  

5 hours ago, Allen Elliott said:

I see the BMFA has now put out an email to state we cant fly there, only 6 moths late. Thanks BMFA

I am going to Crantock late August early Sept

A list/link of local slopes for all directions would be appreciated 

Hi

I am in Treyarnon at the moment and soar the dunes at Constantine bay. Great site, best early evening when beach is quiet. There are loads of cliffs between treyarnon and where you are 

Having recently watched the Panorama report on how UBER conduct their business. 

Perhaps a mass trespass, carrying a model.

It's is ridiculous that a few people standing on a well walked area can be banned.

Perhaps we sometimes make ourselves too easy a target.

Just go and fly it as individual’s, not a club, then, the authorities will have to deal with each as a singular person…….it will be impossible to be policed.

Unfortunately you cannot win the game unless you play the game. Any breach of the ban by model fliers, BMFA or not, may give rise to a line of least resistance reaction and precipitate a total and lasting ban. A very frustrating situation as there seems to be no evidence to support the necessity for a ban. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wookman said:

Unfortunately you cannot win the game unless you play the game. Any breach of the ban by model fliers, BMFA or not, may give rise to a line of least resistance reaction and precipitate a total and lasting ban. A very frustrating situation as there seems to be no evidence to support the necessity for a ban. 

Evidence doesn't have anything to do with it. It's just pointless people fleecing the tax payer trying to find something to do in their pointless quango jobs.

They just pick on easy targets.  The dog lobby is far too powerful and a lot of them probably have dogs as well.  The idea that model planes cause more damage to ground nesting birds than dogs off the lead is obviously risible.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Phil.Taylor

email & letter from BMFA Devon & Cornwall - copy below - basically - do NOT fly at St. Agnes 😢

------

I have recently been passed an Advisory Letter regarding model flying at St Agnes which includes Devon and Cornwall Police as a joint signatory. You will find it at the link below.  It is self-explanatory.

Under current Byelaws associated with the Criminal Justice Act (1988) we have  already been advised that it is a criminal offence to launch from, land in or overfly the St Agnes to Godrevy SSSI without a License.  I emphasise that, presently, we do not have a License.

The flying of model aircraft and drones in the St Agnes to Godrevy SSSI will remain illegal until we have negotiated and agreed a License acceptable to Natural England.  This can can only be achieved through our cooperation with the National Trust.  At the moment there are signs that our negotiation process, which has been on hold, will re-start. Any individual observed flying model aircraft or drones at St Agnes, or elsewhere in the SSSI, will not only cause negotiations to come to a halt again but will be open to prosecution and possibly a very significant fine.

This Email is being distributed to all Devon and Cornwall BMFA members.  I would be grateful if you would pass it on to anyone else you might know who is not a BMFA member but is likely to fly at St Agnes and may not be aware of the restrictions applying to its location.

with kind regards,

Chris Morton

Secretary, BMFA South West Area

------

link to Advisory Letter

https://southwest.bmfa.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Advisory-Letter.pdf

• Sad 1

Just an opinion here… 

it’s interesting that the advisory letter states that the site is privately owned. It is open access land, and according to the government website, there are presently no restrictions in place.I am not advocating anyone to go flying there for the present, but it would be interesting to see how the police would interpret an offence. Open access land bylaws also state that from March to the end of July, all dogs should be on a lead no longer than 2 metres, so as not to disturb ground nesting birds. As a white sheet club member, and our site is also open access, I have never seen dogs on a lead in all the time I have been flying there. I have also never seen any member of the NT try to enforce the rule. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

There will be no flying at St Agnes until at least 2024, hence I decided to give up hobby and sell my kit. Cannot even do that as BMFA first accepted my membership then refunded it today! I really hope the rest of you can keep your flying sites and enjoy the hobby for another few years but after 52 years of flying and watching as the hobby has slowly  been regulated out of existence I have had enough. It might of been different if we had had a decent body to represent us rather than a company like the BMFA.

To all the excellent friends I met over the years I wish you happy flying days.

Roger 

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, Bear said:

There will be no flying at St Agnes until at least 2024, hence I decided to give up hobby and sell my kit. Cannot even do that as BMFA first accepted my membership then refunded it today! I really hope the rest of you can keep your flying sites and enjoy the hobby for another few years but after 52 years of flying and watching as the hobby has slowly  been regulated out of existence I have had enough. It might of been different if we had had a decent body to represent us rather than a company like the BMFA.

To all the excellent friends I met over the years I wish you happy flying days.

Roger 

The reason why we can still fly without even stricter regulations is BECAUSE of the BMFA and their negotiations with the CAA. There are many organisations to blame for the current situation but the BMFA is not one of them. I suggest you direct your frustration there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave Elam said:

The reason why we can still fly without even stricter regulations is BECAUSE of the BMFA and their negotiations with the CAA. There are many organisations to blame for the current situation but the BMFA is not one of them. I suggest you direct your frustration there.

I do not blame the BMFA for the loss of the site that lies squarely with Natural England, I just wish people would understand the BMFA are a company not a national governing body as they claim, then maybe we could of had a genuine governing body.  

1. BMFA were supporting the use of St Agnes by a powered club a few years a go, it was only because of threats of fisticuffs that the powered flyers left.

2. Some of the exemptions that the BMFA boast of for their members were actually negotiated by FPV (a one man band) and then the BMFA had to negotiate to get those for its members an embarrassing fact the BMFA did not like to publicise.

3. There has never been a professional P.R.O for the BMFA in this media savvy age that is pathetic. How many outside the hobby knew the BMFA was 100 years old this year. Not one person I know who does not fly model aeroplanes. that is an example of their inability to actually promote the hobby.

Edited by Bear
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave Elam said:

The reason why we can still fly without even stricter regulations is BECAUSE of the BMFA and their negotiations with the CAA.

I suspect that the BMFA prefer the current arrangement to the situation as it was with ANO 2016. On of the reasons that I suspect this is that they didn't make a fuss when the DfT/CAA dropped the two year transition period that we should currently be in.

45 minutes ago, Bear said:

There has never been a professional P.R.O for the BMFA in this media savvy age that is pathetic.

This year's budget has £30k for PR including £20k for their PR consultant...

1 hour ago, Bear said:

I do not blame the BMFA for the loss of the site that lies squarely with Natural England, I just wish people would understand the BMFA are a company not a national governing body as they claim, then maybe we could of had a genuine governing body.  

1. BMFA were supporting the use of St Agnes by a powered club a few years a go, it was only because of threats of fisticuffs that the powered flyers left.

2. Some of the exemptions that the BMFA boast of for their members were actually negotiated by FPV (a one man band) and then the BMFA had to negotiate to get those for its members an embarrassing fact the BMFA did not like to publicise.

3. There has never been a professional P.R.O for the BMFA in this media savvy age that is pathetic. How many outside the hobby knew the BMFA was 100 years old this year. Not one person I know who does not fly model aeroplanes. that is an example of their inability to actually promote the hobby.

"How many outside the hobby knew the BMFA was 100 years old this year. Not one person I know who does not fly model aeroplanes. that is an example of their inability to actually promote the hobby."

Anyone who listens to the nation's highest audience radio station (Radio 2) on a lunchtime would have. 

I really cannot be arsed to argue on here, I came to say goodbye to my mates, look after yourselves Andy, Tom, Phil and all the others who have come down to St Agnes over the years and had a really good time, happy flying.

• Like 2

Hi Austin.

Thank you for the use of this forum over the years, I really had a good time here and met some great people, unfortunately I met far to many with their heads up their own ***** like the ****** in the last post, please delete my profile and ban me from the forum.

All the best Roger

Just keep flying, it is unenforceable and will take up to much red tape to enforce. The biggest mistake was to let the BMFA be your voice, they are useless, the club I’m in had almost the exact same scenario, if we had adhered to the BMFA we would have lost the site, instead we took advice from a friends lawyer and not only kept the site but the landowners/trusts now know where they stand and leave us alone.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
John McNamara
On 28/11/2022 at 18:55, Bear said:

The BMFA is the governing body of our sport as appointed by the Royal Aero Club. It is necessary for it to be a company (not sure what else it could be really?). It has a small staff and an army of volunteers (like me), but they always looking for more. If you are unhappy with the way things are being run by the BMFA, voluteer and have your ideas brought forward. They do a good job overal looking out for model flyers (like you). However, they are only human, and cannot win every fight.

The fact is that if it were not for the BMFA our plight as model flyers at national level would be much worse than it is and we will need their good offices going forward, as we will be faced with many more challenges in the future.

Regarding your last comment, it is simply untrue. However the budget is limited. Exposure costs money, which is tight.

Sorry, but if you want more, we all need to pay more. Do you want to suggest that?

John

• Like 1

• 1 year later...