FxRES April 2022 2m F3L/F5-RES Monthly Duration Challenge

martynk

Nice selection Graham.   I must say, that purito wing looks like an ironing board compared to the other models.   I know it's a floater but how does it compare to the magic?

StraightEdge
10 hours ago, Graham Lorimer said:

[...]

Now back to the workshop to investigate the failures. I do know that I am extracting more than the recommended Watts out of the DYS Motor, and it has done many many flights, so I guess at just £12.50 I can not complain if it has failed.

Further investigation has now shown that one motor wire on the Magic 2 has come loose, all fixed now .......... and the motor and ESC were blown in the Purito, spares used and ready to go again. Will put a smaller prop on the Purito to try and stop these failures.

Just out of interest, what ESC are you using?  Also I thought you had a Hacker in the Purito?... not cheap if that one goes!

Graham Lorimer
1 hour ago, StraightEdge said:

Just out of interest, what ESC are you using?  Also I thought you had a Hacker in the Purito?... not cheap if that one goes!

I have had three Hacker Motor / Gearbox units in the Purito, and all have failed in the motor. I know I push them hard, but the wires to the motor are the part that fails, usually getting rubbed on the outer casing of the motor. I now use the little blue YDS motors from Hyperflight, stunning performance / price, but I probably need to prop them down a bit. May do a bit of detuned testing this weekend.

Mostly use 20 amp BL32 ESC also from Hyperflight. Have today ordered a 30 amp version.

GL

Graham Lorimer
8 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

Nice selection Graham.   I must say, that purito wing looks like an ironing board compared to the other models.   I know it's a floater but how does it compare to the magic?

Hi David

I much prefer the Purito, it is so much easier (for me at least) to get the trim right for the conditions. The Magic 2 has never been a favourite for me, although I do need to spend some more time trying to get it sorted out, hard work to fly at the moment.

GL

Graham Lorimer

After the failures of yesterday, that made up my mind that I was not going to spend nearly three hours on the road to Buckminster today, so Purito and Magic 2 both repaired, and back to Fish Meadow this morning to try again.

At one point today, I think we had 10 - 12 flyers on the field and some very nice conditions early on.

Third flight of the day for Purito, 60 meters into some lift and away. With a mixture of abuse, encouragement and thermal spotting from the assembled F5J flyers, a flight of 58 minutes 50 seconds was recorded, in at times a very blue sky, that made model recognition quite difficult.

The recovery at about 10 minutes and only 10 meters of altitude into the flight, was perhaps the best part of the flight, there was no help in getting out of that situation, but Purito does excel in those conditions, and working away down wind produced some good climb outs before returning to the field each time and searching for the next ride.

Fish Meadow

Purito

58 minutes 50 seconds

Graham

April 15th.png

• Like 5

Shame not to meet you today Graham, near perfect conditions, but looks like you had a memorable day anyway.   Congrats on pretty much making the hour mark.  Flight graph shows lots of thermals linked up.  👍

Stewart Walker

I'm never going to win but at least I've sorted my cut out problems and all is working well.

F5-RES FRESH, Bramhall, 19/4/22, 4mins 30 secs

19-4-22.png

• Like 1

StraightEdge
29 minutes ago, Stewart Walker said:

I'm never going to win but at least I've sorted my cut out problems and all is working well.

Well done for sorting out the problem - what was the cause?

Winning isn't the primary objective - having fun, learning and getting better, and having more fun along the way is... and then suddenly you're doing rather well!

Stewart Walker

Hi, I began to think it was the radio, I was using an orange system that I bought new 2 years ago and never used, on one flight at the weekend I lost control completely for about 5 seconds, I've now changed the ESC and radio to frsky and all's good

Graham Lorimer
43 minutes ago, Stewart Walker said:

Hi, I began to think it was the radio, I was using an orange system that I bought new 2 years ago and never used, on one flight at the weekend I lost control completely for about 5 seconds, I've now changed the ESC and radio to frsky and all's good

Well done getting it sorted, changing to Frsky is a good call in my opinion.

Losing control for 5 seconds could end very badly, it could be that the Orange system was shutting off the motor temporarily for just a micro second, and then the Nano would not let it restart until the model came down to the restart altitude. If it was losing control for 5 seconds, that would be the issue for sure.

Longer flights will come, it's about going out and trying to improve your thermal reading skills rather than winning, and remember, it is very easy to overfly these little models, they can fly rather well if you just let them get on with it a lot of the time, nudging them when needed.

Graham

Stewart Walker

Yes Graham thanks, I've been using frsky since they started, never had a problem, first time I've used the orange and I'll now put them back in the drawer.

Thanks

Well done Stuart on sorting the switch.

Equally well done entering. I always think a little commitment goes a long way towards improvement.

It would be nice to say I have broken one hour, but that was not to be this afternoon. (I'm writing this waiting for battery to charge).

Not quite there with this session :-

Apr19Afternoon.thumb.jpg.bda7123f015833a26f5bb32ec025c906.jpg

Well done Stewart for persevering. I managed to get out to our local power field but Monday afternoon here was very cold, grey and liftless. Also had to contend with the power fliers. 

image.thumb.png.dde37adeb99296449ad95efbe7e2a742.png

This flight was just hanging around above the mown strip, nothing spectacular but at least it gave me a score over 3 minutes.. :( It would have been better if I hadn't stalled badly when the motor cut. Need more practice,,

image.png.ec8a095d6a3978c72b94af1d2b7e3540.png 

Graham Lorimer

That was a great stall Martyn, and we all do them, trying to eke out the maximum height from the launch can be costly.

I have been at Fish Meadow today with 6 others preparing and testing our Phoenix 1600 Foam gliders ready for our summer series of evening "All up Last down" competitions.

Even one of our resident "hot shot" F5J flyers managed a kingsize stall off the top of the 30 second power climb in one of our practice competitions. Great fun and several 10 minute maximum flights today.

Graham

Stewart Walker

I wouldnt know a thermal if I fell over one but i got one today, best flight yet, very pleased.

F5-RES, Fresh Glider, Bramhall, Cheshire

26-4-22 flight.png

• Like 3