FxRES July 2022 2m F3L/F5-RES Monthly Duration Challenge

martynk

FxRES Monthly Postal Rules

This is a “for fun” challenge for UK based pilots. Anyone may enter with:

1. a bungee-launched F3L (F3-RES) specification glider using the reduced length Hi-Start. The reduced length Hi-Start bungee has a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller/shorter bungee rubber may be used.

OR

2. an Electric motor launched F5-RES specification glider fitted with an Altitude Limiter set to 60m and a maximum motor run time of 20 seconds.

Object: Fly your F3L or F5-RES glider for as long as possible from a flat field. Each monthly challenge will commence on the 1st day of the Calendar month and  the person who's time is unbeaten at the end of the Calendar Month 'wins' and a new challenge will start. The annual challenge league will end on the 31st December of each year. A new annual challenge league will then commence on the 1st of January.

Rules:

Models must comply with the Model Specification rules for F3L (F3-RES) or F5-RES as appropriate.

You may self-time your own flights

Flight times begin when the tow-line falls from the tow-hook (for F3L/F3-RES) or in the case of a F5-RES glider when the motor stops.

The model must land in the launch field or (if there is no field boundary) within 150m of the launch position for times to count. There is no landing bonus.

If you are using a bungee launch (for this event or any other), then the launch line MUST be secured using a corkscrew dog tether or similar bungee stake to minimise the risk of injury caused by a loose stake.

Scores must be submitted on the relevant monthly postal event posting on the FxRES forum at www.barcs.co.uk/forums/   

Scoring flights must be submitted within 24 hours of the flight taking place.

A flight log graph from the Altitude limiter should also be submitted if entering with a F5-RES glider.

All scoring flights must start with a hand release from Ground Level with (if applicable), the motor running.

No flight information telemetry permitted except for Received signal strength and Receiver battery status.

Submitted scores will be amalgamated into an annual league. Points will be awarded as follows:  1st -15 points, 2nd - 12points, 3rd - 10points, 4th to 12th, 9 to 1 point respectively.

You may enter as many times as you wish using as many different models as you wish, but only your longest duration flight will count towards the league position.

Please enter your scores below...

• 2 weeks later...
Paul Wellacott

its been a funny couple of months, what with the restrictions on our flying site, the weather and work I've not really had any rewarding flights. yesterday was better though.

I flew the Purito yesterday, I was unable to Fly the Slite as the farmer was cutting the long grass, its was a funny day with some mini tornados throwing grass/hay  up to 20m high, one actually tipped my deckchair over a few times!

the lift was plentiful, lots of bubble at 25m but not much developing, and the ones that did quickly went downwind into restricted airspace. but lots of 8/10 min flights in the 8mph breeze.

I've been practicing going up wind at about 40m then with a couple of seconds to go climbing up to 60m, if I found lift it gave me time to follow it downwind for a bit, then with height i could fly back up wind to see if I could catch anything else, below was the best using this theory.

Claimed time for F5 - 20.14 mins

image.thumb.png.8c93cf306aede9c696b3f846046241de.png

• Like 2

Stewart Walker

School Field, bramhall, F5 RES, FRESH, 436secs, 7 min 15 secs

10-7-22.png

Edited by Stewart Walker
glider added
  • Like 3

You think you have done really well, then it seems not as well as others !   As this model has the RC electronics switch, you cannot switch off the algo that governs the “motor off.” So the motor cut at 55m. As you don't know the exact height or when it will switch off it is hard work. I had pushed the nose over just before it cut and then pulled the nose back up. The black dot is motor off and the 67.2m is the highest point over the next 10sec. It is probably my oldest switch and it does not save any extra data, but it was just an afterthought adding it.

Launch......

Launch.thumb.jpg.8b2b28c588015e2c81781505edbfd6c5.jpg

I managed to get to 110m twice. What awkward air. Going up well and then coming down fast. During that flight, it was lift / sink / lift / sink, but nothing that would just pull you up.

As I said, I thought I had done an amazing job – must try harder.

1956700855_Mainflight.thumb.jpg.ab0790f2793b6de850c55f0fbb41237b.jpg

I'm going with 19min 33sec. The model was Bombay Duck Trainer. To be honest I was not expecting much and the breeze pushed it down wind briskly. This version is well over 600g....... Meant for training, even in a breeze.

Landing.thumb.jpg.25ea15312919dbc6e1a73b1922f68229.jpg

• Like 1

Graham Lorimer

A couple of quick 2 meter flights before our Club F5J competition yesterday, and the best was not particularly good. 

The first half of the flight was spent just trying to find anything going up, and finally got going up to 150 meters.  Unfortunately going down was just as quick, and the F5J beckoned.

Fish Meadow

Purito E

7 Minutes 50 seconds

Graham

July 10th.png

Table

image.png.b8f04cd5fba80e12b6c2df605c5eda98.png

Keep them coming... :)

A bit of warning.

I am going on holiday on Sunday for almost 4 weeks. Camping as usual except this time I will be in France. I will have my laptop and will update scores if I get a connection, if not don't fret, just keep entering the scores and I'll sort it out later.

I will also create the August challenge post early in case I miss the switchover. Please don't post in the wrong post...

2 hours ago, Phil Morrell said:

Hi Martyn,

Posting my first entry from evening session at Seal Rd, Bramhall, 287 secs  

philm120722.png

Thanks Phil @Phil Morrell

Just copied this to the July post..  Can you remind me what model you used. 

Phil Morrell
3 hours ago, martynk said:

Thanks Phil @Phil Morrell

Just copied this to the July post..  Can you remind me what model you used. 

Hi Martyn

It was an Electro Eagle 2m RES

3 minutes ago, Phil Morrell said:

Hi Martyn

It was an Electro Eagle 2m RES

Your chart says 10mins and your words say 287sec.............. I would say 10+mins ??

Spoke to Phil last night.  He will submit the correct Graph later but still sticking to his claimed flight score...

I flew last night. Just a bit too breezy for comfort at the BATS Seal Road flying site. Lift was generally quite weak and the infills were very breezy and quite powerful. Lots of flights over 3 minutes and a couple of dreadful ones. but settled for this at 3:58 from the motor cut.

Probably wont make a huge impact on the results this month :) 

image.thumb.png.ce9fa73cd06707a7e66a09a79d521a35.png

• Like 1

I'm claiming a 5min 50 sec flight for my f3x Eli at Seal Road Bramhall yesterday. Although I used the club f3RES bungee, the launch height was only 87m, similar to the restricted postal bungee. Hope that's OK? At least it should get me on the chart! Ha Ha!

F3x 13_07_22.png

• Like 2

Phil Morrell
On 02/07/2022 at 09:40, martynk said:

FxRES Monthly Postal Rules

This is a “for fun” challenge for UK based pilots. Anyone may enter with:

1. a bungee-launched F3L (F3-RES) specification glider using the reduced length Hi-Start. The reduced length Hi-Start bungee has a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller/shorter bungee rubber may be used.

OR

2. an Electric motor launched F5-RES specification glider fitted with an Altitude Limiter set to 60m and a maximum motor run time of 20 seconds.

Object: Fly your F3L or F5-RES glider for as long as possible from a flat field. Each monthly challenge will commence on the 1st day of the Calendar month and  the person who's time is unbeaten at the end of the Calendar Month 'wins' and a new challenge will start. The annual challenge league will end on the 31st December of each year. A new annual challenge league will then commence on the 1st of January.

Rules:

Models must comply with the Model Specification rules for F3L (F3-RES) or F5-RES as appropriate.

You may self-time your own flights

Flight times begin when the tow-line falls from the tow-hook (for F3L/F3-RES) or in the case of a F5-RES glider when the motor stops.

The model must land in the launch field or (if there is no field boundary) within 150m of the launch position for times to count. There is no landing bonus.

If you are using a bungee launch (for this event or any other), then the launch line MUST be secured using a corkscrew dog tether or similar bungee stake to minimise the risk of injury caused by a loose stake.

Scores must be submitted on the relevant monthly postal event posting on the FxRES forum at www.barcs.co.uk/forums/   

Scoring flights must be submitted within 24 hours of the flight taking place.

A flight log graph from the Altitude limiter should also be submitted if entering with a F5-RES glider.

All scoring flights must start with a hand release from Ground Level with (if applicable), the motor running.

No flight information telemetry permitted except for Received signal strength and Receiver battery status.

Submitted scores will be amalgamated into an annual league. Points will be awarded as follows:  1st -15 points, 2nd - 12points, 3rd - 10points, 4th to 12th, 9 to 1 point respectively.

You may enter as many times as you wish using as many different models as you wish, but only your longest duration flight will count towards the league position.

Please enter your scores below...

PhilM Flight18.png

Phil Morrell

This is the correct graph to go with my flight post of Tuesday 12th, RES Eagle at Bramhall Seal Rd site flight time 287 seconds539736077_PhilMFlight18.thumb.png.5ddeaaebc7db17fa60dccfb37bb43250.png

• Like 2

On 14/07/2022 at 10:13, Hydeflyer said:

I'm claiming a 5min 50 sec flight for my f3x Eli at Seal Road Bramhall yesterday. Although I used the club f3RES bungee, the launch height was only 87m, similar to the restricted postal bungee. Hope that's OK? At least it should get me on the chart! Ha Ha!

87m is a damned sight higher than I have ever got from a 50+10 bungee launch.. :D

I'll accept it this time (subject to Phil or any others protesting) but for the future please use the correct bungee.   Thanks

image.png.ae5d0b0679c3edd25fbfcc4cdb80fcba.png

• Thanks 1

Stewart Walker

When do you lose that feeling of "How will I get this down", then panic & over do the spoiler

19 mins 52 secs F5-RES Fresh, Bramhall

16-7-22.png

shauncwalsh

9min 20 secs today just after Stewart finished for the day. Launched straight into lift then found some sink and pottered around at about 25 metres for 3 minutes at the end, just enough lift to stay airborne at the end but couldn't gain any height.

E-Circle Dancer

image.thumb.png.6c80ff0ff17d3055a468e787b667abfa.png

• Like 3

Not flown outside of a competition for too long.  3-5 mph winds, near perfect except for the heat.   Started at midday so very warm.

First flight was a nice 20 min flight with the XRES.  Then sadly had a mid air with a DLG.  Zero damage to DLG, but my wing and fuselage needs repair. The other pilot very kindly offered to repair.   

Andreas still configured for competition launches, so had to kill motor early.  Andreas is a beast in good lift but struggles with light conditions as it's quite heavy.

White covering on leading edge means 400 meters is my safe limit.  Spent nearly as much time trying to lose height as thermalling.   Lift in nearly same place everytime.  Dive on full spoilers and then zoom back up at nearly 3meters per second.  INSANE!!!  The alti trace says it all.

The only reason I came down was the low battery alarm sounded so I landed rather than risking 2 models!

David | Andreas F5RES | 16th July | 54 mins 46 seconds.

andreas-55.thumb.png.de7eefdf06f3b10e6848b6369f8e2fda.png

Climb rate, 2.9 meters per second.2-9meter-per-sec.thumb.png.561f5fe02f1aaa68b55e7b19e35236f5.png

• Like 2

Graham Lorimer

A very calm and pleasant morning at Bishops Cleeve today, I flew both Purito E and Magic 2 E, but sadly a battery failure on the Magic bought about its demise.

Purito went well, but I struggled to join the thermals together, only the second time I have flown 2 meter models at that site, and I guess it all takes a bit of learning. As the trace shows, three times at over 300 meters I deployed the spoilers, to come down to about 280 meters, a very blue almost cloudless sky and a purple model makes for very difficult visibility. Sadly the third time I did that, all lift was gone. Seems hard to believe that in just  3- 4 minutes from that height, you're on the ground.

Still, an improvement on my time earlier in the month.

Purito E

Bishops Cleeve

Time claimed 16 minutes 9 seconds

Graham

July 16th.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1