Good starting point for dlg glider

Bazza1510

Simple and quick question,

good starting point for dlg? (plane choice) all the posts I’ve read are very old and nothing up to date so looking for some advice 🙂

I have flown rc planes in the past but want to get back into the hobby and I’m loving the look of dlg gliders.

I've not been flying dlg for anywhere as long as others here. But the usual recommendation for a first dlg is to get a second hand competitive model from a few years ago. What you end up with will really depend on availability. But models to look for are things like the nxt stream, concept cx5, bamf1, snipe etc etc. 

• Like 1

Hi,

I agree with Kohen get a second hand, bit more competitive model, but I have to say there are some new good entry level gliders emerging on the market. If you are starting out I would highly recommend to join the "come try dlg event" at Buckminster the 7th and 8th of April. There are loads of friendly and knowable people and I got my first DLG (second hand) there. Some of the popular gliders to look for may be vortex 3 or 4, snipe, cx4 or 5, stream, bamf 2, FX but there are older gliders that still fly great and would be a good first F3K glider. For a new glider there may be something like the superfly aurora (I have the F5K version) or similar. 

The advantage of second-hand is that most of the competitive gliders are built correctly and tend to have better quality servos, all these things contribute to a much more enjoyable experience.

• Like 2

Having got into flying DLGs a few years ago, my advice would be to not be distracted with any of the smaller or non-carbon DLGs which would be a waste of time/money (small = harder to see at height; non-carbon = won't take the forces necessary to launch to a good height), just go straight for a proper 1.5m.

But they're not cheap new and take some skill to assemble, let alone getting your head around programming flight-modes etc (although OpenTX templates from Frickmann or RC-Soar for are available), so second-hand would be perfect.

I have an Auri which I assembled and fitted out from new with KST 08 servos and flies extremely well (but I see Hyperflight no longer stock it) and a Vortex 3 which I bought two years ago from one of the competition guys at a league event (just before injury-related middle-aged lower-back issues prevented me from continuing!) which I never got round to fitting my own RX and flying.

As I no longer wish to risk my back and have moved to bungee and electric-launched 2m RES models for competition, I ought to sell one or both of these...?

• Like 1

I agree with all the comments above.

My experiences,

I started with an Elf 1metre - beautifully made but only suitable for almost calm conditions.

Next came a Long shot 4  - good value but as I discovered later the performance is no where near the models mentioned above.

This was followed by a very well used and repaired Stark (at a very reasonable price) and even this older design performed better for me than the Long shot 4.

Next came a second hand NXT which was a revelation. The performance is amazing compared with the other models and improved my launching and flying no end.

I was lucky enough to buy this at one of the 'Buckminster come and try events'  from one of the top DLG fliers again at a reasonable price.

I highly recommend a trip to a 'come and try event' everyone is very friendly and helpful.

Finally to my novice eyes all the carbon models mentioned by the others perform amazingly.

Terry.

• Like 2

If you can already fly RC line of sight, then I would just get yourself a nice carbon glider. I went straight to a Yoda and loved it, before that I hadn't flown for maybe 30 years.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the advice 👍🏻
very helpful, now I just need to decide what I want and source it as they seem hard to find 😳

thank you gain

Neil Harrison

Hi Bazza1510

You have certainly found the right place to seek help and advice.

There is so much to learn with F3K/DLG and you never stop learning, its a challenge and that is why we all love it.

For your first model there is certainly lots of choice out there and it is a big decision to make to part with so much money.  Corne is right, there are some good second hand deals to be had with the 1.5m DLG's, don't be afraid of competitive models that have been repaired, although sometimes not very pretty to look at, they are still very competitive and much better than the cheaper new models.  I have to disagree with Straightedge, some of the 1m models are actually very good, at about 50% of the price of a 1.5m model some of these can be as good as 75-80% performance as a 1.5m.  Models such as the TORO, Deviant and the new Hawk Pro are a good choice.

We have had a number of pilots compete in the competitions with 1m models and you would be surprised to know they actually do okay, there is so much to learn in the comps and it is so much fun.

The best thing is to get yourself along to the 'Come Try DLG' event, the first one is Friday 7th April (Good Friday), due to demand and feedback, we are also looking at hosting another event later on in the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Neil Harrison

Bazza1510  there is an excellent model for sale on here, TORO.... and it's only £350

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just following up on this. Where is a good place to look for a second hand 1.5m Carbon DLG? Looking to get into DLG. 

Thanks

@mrj I'm considering selling my XXLite and my Steigeisen DLGs. Both are in reasonable nick, just add battery and Rx, set up your Tx and they're ready to go.

Where are you in the country? Posting these things isn't an option. I'm in north Essex, between Colchester and Ipswich.

Hi @tonym

Thanks for the offer. I'm in SW London and quite rarely go that side of the world unfortunately. If you're near London at any point let me know. Out of interest how much do you want? DM me if you want. Cheers

MikeDLG

I live in SW London and have two of my old DLGs for sale. They will are £250 each with servos, or £300 with Futaba 8FG TX and an rx and battery, all set up and ready to fly.

If you are interested, I could even meet you in Richmond Park so you see them fly.  I have someone interested in the NXT, so I need to check with them first. 

See photos in this post- 

• Like 1

There you go @mrj - Mike's DLGs are likely to be in better order than my two, and he's pretty much on your doorstep. You can also see, feel and see them fly before you buy :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonym said:

There you go @mrj - Mike's DLGs are likely to be in better order than my two, and he's pretty much on your doorstep. You can also see, feel and see them fly before you buy :)

Thanks @tonym 🙂

2 hours ago, MikeDLG said:

I live in SW London and have two of my old DLGs for sale. They will are £250 each with servos, or £300 with Futaba 8FG TX and an rx and battery, all set up and ready to fly.

If you are interested, I could even meet you in Richmond Park so you see them fly.  I have someone interested in the NXT, so I need to check with them first. 

See photos in this post- 

Hi Mike

This sounds quite convenient! I will send you a DM. Cheers

Still looking so if someone else has a 1.5 Carbon for sale let me know. 

Cheers

PhilR

I

hi Mike

interested I sent a PM 

regards

Phil