Team GBR 2023 F3K World Championships

Neil Harrison

Group 4 - Gavin

We have had a bit of a disaster.  He put his plane in the top of the tallest tree around 😬 

We are trying to work out what to do. 

• Sad 3

Tell the organiser - they may have a tame tree climber.

Modelul nostru este într-un copac.

Google translate  - our model is in a tree - {I hope!}

• Haha 1

Group 5 - Michael

Very light air, almost no wind. Flew 220g Bamf2.

There was a light pull to the E, so I went that way. There no lift really noticed, so flew the 2min flight. 

Next launch I went SW over the hangers where I was getting air in the first round this morning.  It was pretty decent as I pushed out. I just flew very smoothly and did gentle circles.  Corne was pointing out gliders appearing to go up to the East. I made the 4min with some meters to spare.  Here I made a mistake.  That gaggle were still there, drifting N, but not doing as well as before.  

I launched and I decided to go to the gaggle. It was not great and I dropped 24secs on the 3min. I should have gone with my instinct and came back to where I was for the 4, or done a 1min, then back to the other air for the 3.

The 1min was fine. 

I scored 966, could have been 990. 

I was very lucky today. We had a long delay in the morning, it wasn’t hot and the wind was low.  I gained 4 places today to finish the day in 21st. A miracle, really.

Big thanks to my team, especially Carlos, as they all picked up the slack as I couldn’t help at all today.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We woke up to mist today. The start had to be delayed about an hour. 

Round 16- 5x 2mins

Group 1 - Gavin

A tough call on the first flight and he dropped about 20secs.  The rest were all 2mins and he scored 973.

Edit- I missed that there was a timing system malfunction with the audio, timing board and Pandora’s all out of sync.  Audio calls were not being made, the CD was shouting which part sequence they were in. It was only clear that the round was actually starting about 5secs before, so Gav wasn’t prepared and didn’t get a good launch or have an idea where to go. They really should  have not stated the round until they sorted everything out.

Group 2 - Michael

Very light wind, some light lift, still flying my 220g Bamf2.  Every thing went perfectly, didn’t struggle with the times.

Flew 1:59.0, 1.59.6, 1:59.3, 1:59.7, then as I went to grab the peg for the last turnaround, my fingers were too far up the wing and as I start rotating, the model flew out of my hand and continued rotating! 😆 There were laughs from the side lines.  So that last flight was 1:51.7.  I scored 991.  I really wanted 1000 as the guy behind me, Herman Hass, was only 2 points behind. He was in my round, got the 1000, so jumped me.  Luckily for me, Steven Collin from France, must have landed out on one flight, so dropped below me. 

• Like 3

Group 4 - Corne

First two were fine. For the 3rd, he chased another glider to the west, but never encountered the bubble. He decided to abort and head back as he was getting low quickly. He had divert around the end of the line of tents because he was so low! He was heading for the corner of the box which is marked with cone. Gav was timing for him saying push down, don’t stall! As he came in, he just clipped the top of the cone and landed in. But only a 1:15, unfortunately.

The next two were fairly easy and were both 2mins.

Round 17 - big ladder 1,1:30, 2:00, 2:30, 3:00.

This is the last round of the preliminary rounds.

Group 1 - Michael

For some reason, I thought the first flight was 1:30. So I was a little high when Corne started calling ‘45,46,47, you are going for a minute!’ I dashed in as fast as I could, landed at 1:00.7, but didn’t turnaround that quickly as I came so fast, I was not set that well. 

The rest were fine and I dropped 8.5sec and scored 994.  

That is end of my contest. I finished in 21st, only 232 points off the fly off positions. I am happy.  

• Like 3

Group 2 - Gavin

Gav went well until the last flight, the 3min. He chased a glider in lift downwind. He was never able engage the lift and decided to turn back, but it was too late and he couldn’t make the box. He scored 705 and finished in 40th.  Gav flew well and only a few mistakes cost him an upper 20’s place. 

• Like 2

Group 5 - Corne

Corne was in R1 G1, so fitting he is in the the last group of the last round. 

There was lift on the first flight over the box to the north. It wasn’t moving very fast to the SW, so he chased the same lift on each flight.  The lift was about 200m downwind for the last flight. He got a bad launch, but chased anyway  he got there the lowest, but found the lift and worked very to soon the high guy.  He dropped 8.5secs and scored 993.  A great end to his first champs.  

• Like 2

Fly offs

Round 1 - one flight only. 

Wind is light.  Every lunched on the buzzer, except one who was about 5-10 late, for some reason. All went to air over the tents, just west of the box. Everyone made it, except Craig Goodrum from SA, who went into a tree 😬

Round 2 - 5x 2min

First 4 flight were quite easy, but during the 5, the wind suddenly came up and a coupe didn’t make he time and I think Craig landed out. 

Play was then suspended as rain came and the wind was really strong.  We are starting again soon.