F3L & F5L competition at Buckminster on the 30th March.

Alex Maxfield

Alex Maxfield

Hi Everyone, I'm writing this on behalf of Martyn Kinder who will be the CD on the day.

These F3L and F5L events will be run to FAI rules and need preparation before the event.

We need your entries in prior to the event please. Add your name to this post and state if you wish to fly F3L OR F5L OR both. We cannot guarantee the possibility to enter on the day. Also for the sake of your fellow competitors, if you enter please make sure you turn up unless the event is cancelled.

Enter by replying to this post before Wednesday 27th March at midnight PLEASE!

Minimum entry for the event to run will be 3 pilots per category. 

Richard Newsham

Hi Alex

Please put me down for F3L.

Regards

Richard Newsham. 

• Like 1

Pete in Northiam

Neil Tricker will be flying F5.  Passed on from FB

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
martynk

REMINDER. Closing date is tomorrow mudnight, (Wednesday). 

Richard Newsham

Hi Martyn

It looks like you may be struggling to make a team up for F3L and F5L. If it is of any help I can try my hand at F5L to at least try and make a team. Sorry to Pete in Northiam if it makes F3L a non viable proposition. 

If you do suddenly receive an influx of people participating I still would like to fly F3L. 

Regards 

Richard 

• Like 1

Pete in Northiam

I noticed too but don't have an F5 option. How many have responded in total so far, @martynk? I realise not everyone may have posted here. Are we already quorate for the two classes?

Pete in Northiam

Current forecast for Saturday from ECMWF shows mean wind 13mph (6m/s) gusting 24mph (11 m/s) with showers after noon. Screenshot_20240327-174015.jpg.14142cffbccf37403188abe0f94a63e4.jpg

But other forecasts show wide range of wind and rain so I take it as high uncertainty so far. More data in the forecasts runs tomorrow should narrow that.

Screenshot_20240327-174614.jpg.5b69ac1af12b2bac60668af3359900bd.jpg

--Pete 

Lawrence D

I'll be there for F3L.

I was holding back as the long range forecasts had not been good for Easter weekend... hopefully Saturday will be possible

• Like 2

Pete in Northiam

A few questions please.

When will the go or no-go decision  be made? 

What hours will the contest run? I'm assuming FxRES practice with 9.00 field open, 10.00 sign up open, 10.45 briefing, 11.00 to 15.00 work times,15.30ish fly-offs

And should we try to download any app for scoring?

Thanks! Just hope the weather (or lack of entrants) doesn't scupper us! Lots to learn day ahead...

martynk

Hi all

This event is ON...

Please read the following carefully.

Entries. I have the following entries recorded. SHOUT if you think you should be on the list.

F3L

• Richard Newsham
  • Pete Newman
  • Lawrence Drennan
  • David Poole

F5L

• Rob Craddock
  • Gordon B
  • Alex Maxfield
  • David Poole

If you wish to take part and have not yet entered, we can accept a maximum of 2 more entries in each class, providing you notify us by 12:00 TOMORROW - FRIDAY.

No additional entries will be accepted after that time.

The weather forecast is bright/sunny. Wind decreasing through the day.

Entry fee is £5 cash (to me) but an additional £10 Buckminster usage charge may have to be paid. Please pay this at Reception on arrival.

Pilots Brief at 10:00

Competition Start 10:15

F3L Round 1 will go first followed by F5L Round 1 followed by F3L Round 2 etc. Each round set (for both classes) will take approximately 45 minutes.

3 Rounds in the morning, a break for lunch followed by 2 rounds in the afternoon. Flyoffs (top 2 from each class). at about 3:30pm. Wrap up at 4:00pm with a short prizegiving.

F5L Height limiters. These should be set (as per FAI rules) to 90m and 30 seconds run time. Emergency restart will be allowed but if you use it, then that flight attempt will obviously score a ZERO.

Please bring a stopwatch. You will be expected to time-keep if you are not flying. No timekeepers = delays and possible curtailment.

See you on Saturday, it will be a great days' flying..

Any problems, my phone number is 079 ate 90 2519 ate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alex Maxfield
6 hours ago, Pete in Northiam said:

A few questions please.

When will the go or no-go decision  be made? 

What hours will the contest run? I'm assuming FxRES practice with 9.00 field open, 10.00 sign up open, 10.45 briefing, 11.00 to 15.00 work times,15.30ish fly-offs

And should we try to download any app for scoring?

Thanks! Just hope the weather (or lack of entrants) doesn't scupper us! Lots to learn day ahead...

No need to download any App Pete - we will use paper for scoring this event. Martyn will post the plan for the day shortly.

• Thanks 1

Pete in Northiam

Latest forecast is dry with (very) low winds and all forecast models agree. Expecting low F3L launches 🤔

Screenshot_20240329-074828.png.2f5a4b06f508b715b60ecadaf872ad98.png

Screenshot_20240329-074957.jpg.87965262d9a202a1653a4f53fd1668b8.jpg

• Like 1

John Minchell

One thing to bear in mind is the new on-site cafe will not be open for this weekend.  I did email Manny regarding the availability of drinks and food, but their opinion is that there would not be enough "trade" to make it worthwhile opening up.  So take you sarnies ,flask and BBQ with you.

John M

• Like 3

martynk

Well, we had a great day today. Sunshine and cumulus clouds all day, a reasonable breeze but, never a problem which calmed off nicely for the fly-offs.

4 entries in F3L and 4 in F5L. 6 rounds flown plus a single round fly-off (top 2). It would have been nice to have had more but as an exercise in the viability of running 2 events with alternating rounds, it was a huge success.

Some photos below, but the results were as follows:

F3L 

1. Richard Newsham
  2. David Poole
  3. Pete Newman
  4. Lawrence Drennan

F5L

1. Alex Maxfield
  2. David Poole
  3. Rob Craddock
  4. Gordon Brown

Prizes awarded down to 4th place!

Many, many thanks to Alex Maxfield for the equipment, expertise and preliminary work that made this event a success. I would have wallowed without him.

A few photos to follow:

DSC_2609.JPG

DSC_2612.JPG

DSC_2615.JPG

DSC_2620.JPG

DSC_2622.JPG

DSC_2625.JPG

DSC_2611.JPG

DSC_2614.JPG

DSC_2618.JPG

DSC_2619.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

cirrusRC

Congratulations Martyn and Alex.  The day ran like clockwork, you'd never know that was the first go at the new format.   

Great weather, great flying and a memorable fly off to finish the day.

• Like 2