BMFA F3F Nationals 2011

simon_t

It was amazing how fast Greg was at the end of the video when the comp was over and the pressure was off, good air and no pressure makes all the difference. Got to fix the Xenon now and make some brass ballast slugs up for the Artist, having it fully ballasted or not isn't very useful for competition flying, plus you need a javelin launch to get it going. The conditions were quite challenging, hats off to the guys who got sub 40's my best time was two 47.xx one with the Xenon and one with the Artist, got to practice nailing them turns  Tom

Martin_N said:

Hi Tom, Great video,not as bad as you make out.  Kev was flying the Ceres and I think Mark flew his Caldera later in the comp. Martin
Cheers for the corrections, I'll try and correct the video when I get chance  

isoaritfirst

That end bit of Greg when he has the EM turns working for him is impressive. So common Greg lets have your thoughts.

isoaritfirst

So a great comp as said - but what else can we look at to see if there is any room for improvement.Pre comp - frequency confirmation/ cancellations. Saturday - could we have done better. On time call, or location call. Sunday - sports flying before comp?perhaps a cut off time -- then those that feel the need can turn up earlier. 

Thanks for the video Tom.  Always good to look back on the flights, although I had the grandstand seat for most of the ones you filmed. Simon

isoaritfirst said:

That end bit of Greg when he has the EM turns working for him is impressive. So common Greg lets have your thoughts

Well, first things first, many congratulations to Simon, Mark and Kevin for some outstanding flying and a great result. The conditions may have been variable at times, but these guys always looked as though they were on top of their game, and richly deserved their placing. Simon, in particular looked on fantastic form with the Fosa.  

That said, I firmly believe that Martin, Joel and Adam could also have been on the podium had lady luck come their way, and all performed excellently. Agree entirely with the earlier comments made around the slick running of the competition, and would like to thank Martin for his considerable efforts to optimise the organisation of the event. I have to say that it comes as some relief to see someone with the enthusiasm and organisational talent of Martin providing leadership for the F3F community – it really is what we need. On a related note, it was a pleasure to see AJ enjoying his flying in the sunshine, for once free from the burden of organisational responsibility.

So, putting all of this together, and adding the attendance of some of the newer (and very talented) pilots, the event couldn’t have been better (bar flying on Saturday). Unfortunately, in terms of personal performance, things really couldn’t have been much worse. The model, ballast setting and transmitter all felt really good, and I had good air in all but one round – but for some reason, I suffered terribly with nerves / adrenalin in Round one, had a crisis of a confidence regarding ballast settings in Round 4, and failed to accomodate the slight course divergence at Base A for the remainder of the event, leading to three cuts, and very slow recoveries…..unforgivable errorsat such an important event, but typical of a pilot trying too many new technologies / techniques at the same time. Comically, at prize giving Mark R turned to me with an astonished look on his face that said “how on earth have I recovered from some such a bad start to finish in second place”, I turned to him with a look that said “how have I managed to screw up so badly in three consecutive rounds”, and after a prolonged discussion on flying techniques, Mark posed the question “just how much pain are you prepared to take to perfect the dynamic turn?” It’s a question I’m still musing on….. 

Cheers, Greg

Stick with it Greg I'm sure once you've mastered the Alliaj the results will come, I've been looking forward to seeing you fly all year and I wasn't disappointed   Tom

Adam Richardson

Greg Dakin said:

but for some reason, I suffered terribly with nerves / adrenalin in Round one,Cheers,
 Greg
Just round 1 rollingeyes.gifI had nerves / adrenalin rushes before each flight all day, Thanks for the comments Greg, If i hadnt had 3 cuts in 1 round and another later in the day things codl of been better.Simon, ive been having a play at some EM turns just latley so it was nice to here that you actually recognised my attempts grin.gifThe Vamp was definatley enjoying the back of the wrecker,

Rooster-X said:

Stick with it Greg I'm sure once you've mastered the Alliaj the results will come, I've been looking forward to seeing you fly all year and I wasn't disappointed  smile.gif Tom
 Thanks very much Tom - here's to more practice, better air and less pressure wink.gif Greg

Greg,  maybe the conditions weren't strong enough to get the alliaj fully on step flying the EM style. I'm sure if the conditions were stronger you would have finished much higher? PS -  You nervous – I thought you were the Roger Federer of F3F confused.gif

rumbey said:

Greg,  maybe the conditions weren't strong enough to get the alliaj fully on step flying the EM style. I'm sure if the conditions were stronger you would have finished much higher? PS -  You nervous – I thought you were the Roger Federer of F3F confused.gif
 Hi Dave, yes I'm sure that you are right - the Alliaj loves the big winds,  but I think that the 3x cuts killed the race for me. crying.gifNow, how much did you say that I owed you for the Federer comment smile.gif Cheers Greg 

Scott Ravenscroft

3x cut Greg, and after I kept giving you that thermal air, by me flying the sink just before you..........it was a frustrating day for me too.oh well must try harder next time.

I popped it in the files section of the yahoo group. Sorry for not checking with you martin, but I did it late last night.

Skip said:

I popped it in the files section of the yahoo group. Sorry for not checking with you martin, but I did it late last night.
Cheers Bud