Slope and DS videos

Skip

29 minutes ago, knewt said:

Which Mobius, quality looks good.

The Mobius quality does appear good, certainly better than the landing system  😉

• Haha 1

On 09/02/2022 at 18:05, Swalleau said:

Been test flying the new Aeroic plane, the Alpenbrise.  A modern take on the Alpina - Doc Hammonds vision of how it should have developed from the original Aplina CS.  Mine is rocking KingMax servos throughout (see Flightech for details) and the UK Importer is HyperFlight.  Personally I think it really hits the spot, it is what an Alpina should be, a really good allrounder.  Fast, thermally, aerobatic, versatile.

It's great to see the results of my CAD work 👍 but it is a shame I didn't get paid for it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Kenneth Paine

Thank you guys.  

In the States, where such pitcheron models have quite a following, these fast rolls are called twinkle rolls.  I call them pant-fillers.

Kenneth

Hi  Kenneth !

Just to say, what a superb looking 'plane. The finish and paint job looks very impressive.

Can I ask a couple of quick questions on a subject that evades me ?

How do you achieve a finish that smooth and flawless, and what do you use as a masking material (do you remove the mask before the paint is dry, or after) ?

Basic stuff I know, but my painting efforts are generally not of the highest order (understatement), and I'd dearly like to achieve something even remotely like your glider.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Kenneth Paine
14 hours ago, Riccardo said:

Hi  Kenneth !

Just to say, what a superb looking 'plane. The finish and paint job looks very impressive.

Can I ask a couple of quick questions on a subject that evades me ?

How do you achieve a finish that smooth and flawless, and what do you use as a masking material (do you remove the mask before the paint is dry, or after) ?

Basic stuff I know, but my painting efforts are generally not of the highest order (understatement), and I'd dearly like to achieve something even remotely like your glider.

Thanks.

Thank you for your kind words Riccardo.

The answer to your question has two parts:

1. Shaping and surface preparation (i.e., if your surfaces are not flat or properly rounded or shaped, these flaws will show through the best paint jobs.
  2. The actual painting job itself.

I'll answer point 2 first:  The model was finished with Halfords rattle cans: Ford Metallic Purple and Ford Pearlescent Orange finished with Simoniz clear coat.  I had problems with the clear coat because the valve was rather stiff for my weak fingers so fatigue set in mid-way and I had to finish applying the clear coat by holding down the valve/nozzle with my thumb.  I have now bought a universal trigger/grip that I slot onto spray cans allowing me to use spray cans like a conventional spray gun, rather like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tech-Pistol-Grip-Aerosol-Spray/dp/B07MXMQ63S/ref=sr_1_6?crid=VLT5JD2FOBK3&keywords=rattle+can+spray+gun&qid=1655287730&sprefix=rattle+can+%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-6

Regarding shaping and preparation, I spent a lot of time methodically block sanding off high build primer.  I have documented the Rotor's build process in nauseating detail here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2978330-Rotor-Pitcheron-Scratch-Build-UK

Masking material is yellow Frog tape or similar as well as Tamiya finer tapes.  Low tack painter's masking tape is what you need to search for.  You get what you pay for so don't skimp.  If you try to remove the tape while the paint is wet, you will get paint on your fingers and transfer it back to the model.  Ask me how I know.  It is better to wait until the paint is touch dry but not fully hardened.  Take the tape off slowly and peeling it back on itself.

I hope this helps.

Kenneth

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice Phil.

That’s the second one flown up on White sheet. Club member, Richard Edmunds also has one. The build quality looks very good too. 👍

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Phil.Taylor

Sunshine & 20mph wind on my local Devon slope - ideal for a slope scale aerobatics session - 2.6m Windrider Habicht vs 2.9m Modellstudio Swift S1

Comments welcomed !

Phil.

Swift_Habicht_2.thumb.jpg.34adfdf56af8d68795fe10fecd0c88a9.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

'Stephen Jones RC Aircraft' took some great footage of me flying the Terra 2.5 today, thank you! 🙂👍

Stephen's YouTube channel - https://youtu.be/Xc144cgeKXc

http://www.practicalrc.com

#stephenjonesrcaircraft #jonowellsdesigns #practicalrc #thejonathanwells #rcglider #slopesoaring #slope #remotecontrolled #terra

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2022 at 23:26, Redbird said:

Fantastic. Was it faster than the Gecko? That looked great too. 

Thanks, I think the Gecko was faster 😀