Schwing!!!

Gonesoaring2003

James Hammond

Fins copied of a certain popular Chinese model I reckon...

Emoji not working hereNow I wonder who actually designed that/those "Certain Popular Chinese model(s)"

JH

James Hammond

OK lets see if I have this straight?

A "fat" fuselage is automatically stronger than a thin one? Would it not depend on things like the way it was designed, what it was made of, and how it was made?

Of course there are quite a few "fat fuselage" scale or scale-like designs out there, but hey, hold on…don't they normally have limited flight envelopes? Now why would that be?

Sorry dude, I design planes that can, if required, push the edges of the box. Of course the owner does not have to fly this way, but at least he can if he wants.

As to buying one of my designs – hey its a democracy – vote with your wallet!

Cheers,

James – who personally could do with losong a few ounces…

I'm totally confused now..James, have you just disagreed with yourself?

The post starting 'strong opinions' says it's from you, but argues against skinny fuses and says you'll 'never buy another Hammond design'.

Is the forum telling me lies about who posted what?

Yoyo said:

I'm totally confused now..James, have you just disagreed with yourself? The post starting 'strong opinions' says it's from you, but argues against skinny fuses and says you'll 'never buy another Hammond design'.Is the forum telling me lies about who posted what?

no – he just hasnt figured out the "blockquote" html thingy to get the quotes working properly :) Phil.

James Hammond

I'm totally confused now..James, have you just disagreed with yourself? The post starting 'strong opinions' says it's from you, but argues against skinny fuses and says you'll 'never buy another Hammond design'.

Is the forum telling me lies about who posted what?

James Hammond

Yes - sorry. I hit the wrong button...doh!

But anyway the post I meant to make was to explain that a fat fuz is not necessarily a strong fuz.

J

Yes – sorry. I hit the wrong button…doh!

But anyway the post I meant to make was to explain that a fat fuz is not necessarily a strong fuz.

J

Generally tho (with perhaps a few exceptions?) isn't it the case thinner means weaker?Longer lever, less material, forces concentrated on smaller area etc?edit - Perhaps you've make special mods to address a few concerns on here?

James Hammond said:

I design planes that can, if required, push the edges of the box.

So, just out of interest, which box is it designed to push the edges of?

(or poke holes through with that pointy nose!)

Phil.

In my experience skinny F3x fuses can be very strong in compression, e.g. lawn darting into the ground but weak in bending the smaller cross section makes them more flexible and more vulnerable e.g. cart wheeling.

Simple solution is to keep some forward motion when landing and keep them wings level. The Wasabi seems to have the worse fuse of all my gliders, when it drops out of the air the fuse can flex through 90 deg aft of the wing, snapping the elevator rod and cracking the seams as it goes. :o

Tom

a 2.5m/100 inch mouldie for £450 with potentially extremely good performance. Sounds excellent to me.

surely hammond's design is aimed at giving people the maxium possible performance for their money. The typhoon was/is a really good model (and far from slow).

This, to me, looks like the logical next step.I hope it's light, stiff and has plenty of ballast capacity. :)

Will it be as fast as the 100" needle ?

I'll grab my file to make the nose legal then ? Hows the spar for bungee launching James (Or winching) ?

Jon

James Hammond said:

Of course there are quite a few "fat fuselage" scale or scale-like designs out there, but hey, hold on…don't they normally have limited flight envelopes?Now why would that be?
That is a flawed assumption right there. Lets see a few examples: RC Flight Academy Duo Discus:

330Km/h Schauberger DG 800s: 285 Km/h:

Even the top DS planes are not exactly skinny, eg.: Dynamic 130: 393 mph Diva DS 396 mph Opus MCT 342 mph

Dynamic-130S.jpg

Diva-DS.jpg

Opus-MCT.jpg