Schwing!!!

Gonesoaring2003

Mr Ed said:

Yes, very nice dear. Now be a good boy or we'll bring a Schwing to run rings around your Lesky…
Bold statement for somthing thats not flown yet John....

True, but on Jimbo's form it only has to stay out of the trees for ten minutes and its a winner. :D

Edit: and yes I know my first Needle only lasted 90 mins before I bent it…

Bustergrunt said:

Why did you have to post the Opus picture? I've just 'lost' mine on the hill today...git!

Sorry mate, wasn't intentional :( ..

James Hammond

James Hammond said: Of course there are quite a few "fat fuselage" scale or scale-like designs out there, but hey, hold on…don't they normally have limited flight envelopes?Now why would that be? That is a flawed assumption right there. Lets see a few examples: RC Flight Academy Duo Discus: 330Km/h Schauberger DG 800s: 285 Km/h: Even the top DS planes are not exactly skinny, eg.: Dynamic 130: 393 mph Diva DS 396 mph Opus MCT 342 mph

Which one is the 2.5M span plane?

Rooster-X said:

In my experience skinny F3x fuses can be very strong in compression, e.g. lawn darting into the ground but weak in bending the smaller cross section makes them more flexible and more vulnerable e.g. cart wheeling. Simple solution is to keep some forward motion when landing and keep them wings level. The Wasabi seems to have the worse fuse of all my gliders, when it drops out of the air the fuse can flex through 90 deg aft of the wing, snapping the elevator rod and cracking the seams as it goes. :mad: Tom

A pure round tube structure is very strong, and bigger diameter is always stronger.

Try bending a 110 mm plastic drain pipe.

Then try bending a 50 mm drain pipe (usually with thicker walls): easy...

All the "fishy" shapes like Wasabi, Voltij, Le Fish et al suffer from considerable weakness with sideways flexing, because they deviate so far from the round tube shape.

Pancake shape, she not strong :( ... Schvingggg? No comment...

According to Mr Fu he has sold nearly 50 already, so I think that most people can live with the fuselage……. :eek:

Chris, there's plenty of stuff around at around 2.5 to 3m in a scale/semi scale appearance isn't there?e.g

http://www.valentamo.....dex-aj.htmhttp://www.baudismod.....scus2b.phphttp://www.tangent-m.....na2501.php

Plenty of toys for everyone to play with. :party:

Don't worry about it!

James Hammond

Tom...why are the Valenta tubby planes listed as "Semi Dummy Models?"Are they semi dummies or for semi dummies?

Thats a real hoot!Like they say at McDonalds....

James

James Hammond said:

Tom...why are the Valenta tubby planes listed as "Semi Dummy Models?"Are they semi dummies or for semi dummies?Thats a real hoot!Like they say at McDonalds....James
   Some sort of translation issue I guess. An amusing one at that!

James Hammond said:

Tom...why are the Valenta tubby planes listed as "Semi Dummy Models?"Are they semi dummies or for semi dummies?Thats a real hoot!Like they say at McDonalds....James

This is the typical sort of level of debate / posting that makes me really sad that James has "discovered" this forum :mad: ...

satinet said:

According to Mr Fu he has sold nearly 50 already, so I think that most people can live with the fuselage……. :eek:

Tony Fu said: "We hope to make the Schwing widely available..... Those that want to support our endeavours can place forward orders for the Schwing with above but please bear in mind we are at prototype testing stage and we are some way off from producing in quantity. ... allocation of the initial stock to distributors is kept deliberately small so that we can build up production in a controlled way."

I sincerely doubt he's "sold" 50 :confused: ....

Somebody is in for a sizeable bit of wonga to place an order for 50 …….

and thats without the ones T9 will supply ….does seem alot Tom ………….

or is that as the global reseller ..?

Tony is the worldwide distributor, so that would include quite a lot of punters. 50 is quite possible. But that might be after the pre prod versions have been tested. (info from other forum).

James Hammond

Woodstock said:

This is the typical sort of level of debate / posting that makes me really sad that James has "discovered" this forum :mad: ...

Sorry lads, I did not know I had to be serious about having fun. Can we not sometimes remember that this is actually what we are doing? :censored: Lets lighten up a bit shall we.? :D

In any case I make what I would want to fly so its like it or hate it and I certainly woud not cosider giving up any performance just for a fat fuse.

Sorry again, but there it is. :P Cheers

• 2 months later...

Hi All...Mark Redsell has posted a couple more videos of his Schwing test flying here: http://vimeo.com/user10748257/videos

You can see it has some pace, and its not even trimmed here.

Quotes Mark: "The more I think about this model (compared with other 1.5 to 2m choices), the more I like it. Probably because it is quite a lot like a bigger, fast slope model. Looking forward to more stick time with it."

More testing is planned next week (If the weather cooperates) after a couple of mods to the control surfaces and ballast systems. :cool:

One more prototype with different layups (and a colour scheme!) is on its way to UK for testing before final production is given the green light by Mr Fu. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

James