If Not A Stingray, Then What?

Bear

Because, I answer, in the interim I had finished my 2.8 m L-213A (Valenta). This remains my favorite scale aerobat (even the Baudis carbon Salto hasn't quite eclipsed it in my heart yet). It's hugely capable, easy to handle, fast, gorgeous in the air, just ticks all my boxes..

I so wish that you hadn't posted that and those photos....

Topics like this one should have a 'Danger - may damage your bank balance' warning attached.

Steve

Well thanks for all the educated imput gents, its very apreciated. Of on holiday and will be getting something when I get back. And the bonus is i have found out the lads in the flat next door are chez!

That L213A looks absolutely amazing! Mike Evans aero scalie (can't remember what it is) looks really cool too! I'd love to have something with that kind of 'presence' (SP?) for flying at the Bwlch but to be flown in a style less scale than ideal.

X-caliber almost gets a vote from me too. Mine is about 8 years old and is a great all rounder but 25+ mph off Portland showed that an HS Stingray is the better plane for big air!!!! The Stingray doesn't bend and ignores rotor. X-caliber does bend, got some very interesting wing shapes diving through the rotor at speed! Oh and in that sort of wing I needed a launcher to fight it into the sky.

Would love to add (in order of preference) a PrismaRay, the Baudis Salto, the big L213, the Valenta big Salto and then the baby L213 to my Stingray - which thrives on big coastal air! :-)

• 1 month later...

Just a thank you to all those who helped me out with this. I am know the very happy owner of a 1/5 L213a, only had a short maiden with it yet but the potential was obvious.

Thanks

Roger

cliffhanger

Just a thank you to all those who helped me out with this. I am know the very happy owner of a 1/5 L213a, only had a short maiden with it yet but the potential was obvious.

Thanks

Roger

Well done Rog- you lucky bu**er!

I'm in two minds about pulling the trigger on one.

Where did you buy it from, Jurgen Schmierer ?- or was it the one recently for sale on BMFA ads?

Post some pics!

It was the one off of BMFA, been having difficulty trying to get one with flaps in time for the summer, so when one come up on BMFA I grabbed it quick. Its as new!

Roger

Thats an Impressive Buy Roger ,

Totally Aerobatic beasty of a scale glider , and Ians photos make it look in imaculate condition .

well done matey ,

Unfortunately (or not) for me ,

I just bought an ASW 28 , Its an unfinished build, and has this big moustache thingy on the front :eek:

Its a FlyFly one ,

Not what i would concider a top quality model , but i could not refuse it at the price on account it was cheap . in fact the ESC that was in its bag would cost more than i payed for the Plane , the ESC and the Motor :eek: .

But i do have to buy radio kit , servos rx and stuff. I dont want to use 7kg kst servos in it :D , but i may have to buy a full size servo (wtf is that ?) for elevator .

Not much to build , and it looks ok , just not as nice as yours mate

Bob

p.s Scale really did not float my boat , but its funny the more you see them , the nicer they look and you start thinking of getting 1

I also wanted something for flat field thermaling , but im not sure if the ASW28 will fill that void .

I will have to see

For me it was seeing some of the lovely Scale Jobs that turn up at St Agnes through the year. I have a PT Vega which is lovely on a gentle day, but the thought of having a full on aerobatic scalie for big days was to much to resist.

With all the lovely smooth lift you get here, would be rude not to use it! :)

With all the lovely smooth lift you get here, would be rude not to use it! :)

I know what your saying mate , and couldnt agree more :)

Although , it is nice to hoon a bit

Bob

Could the MantaRay be a valid alternative ?

Always :) ! It's 4 m wingspan, am I correct?

Are kits available commercially yet?

Chris

Flew the Blanik again today at St Agnes head, 25mph straight on to the slope. Its everything I hoped it would be. Adjusted the differential to 20% and the rolls are now nice and axel. Was surprised how little elevator movement was required. Was wondering if anyone has ballest in theirs?

Like the look of the Mantaray, always looking for a model to save pennies for. If I am saving for a glider it keeps me out of trouble!

Mr Woodstock if I ever meet you I owe you a beer.

Roger

Roger

Rog I reckon Mr Woodstock could be tempted to come see you next year for a little stay ...........hes got a hanckering for Cornwall

Roger

It's a deal :) ! Just one pre-condition: don't call the Inteco L213a a Blanik :eek: :D !
  • Like 1