Frsky Taranis X9D Pluse special edition/T9hobbysport

Marc RC pilot

What is the difference between a Lipo and a Li On  battery and how long would a charge last for in the TX? 

What is a Gen ace?

I know that  with my older Taranis X9d Plus I could fly for what seemed all day (3 to 4 hours on and off and the battery levels on the TX never seemed to get low. 

I have bought NiMh batteries for receivers and soldering stuff from Component shop and there service/delivery is great and product pricing hard to beat.

This is what I use in my X9D and X9D Plus so without researching further, not going to, if the back is the same these batteries last for a week. You need to change out  one of the plugs to fit. I found the original battery useless I did get the T9 NiMH pack better but they don't even compare against a lipo.

And for my tuppence worth; Would I buy a Tx that didn't come with a battery - NO. Why have Frsky done this, stupid move in my opinion. Bit like buying a car without a fuel tank.

Just checked HK have these in stock for £14.55

Tony

IMG_20190927_154341978 (2).jpg

IMG_20190927_195204455 (2).jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi Tony, I believe those Turnigy are 3s packs? The new 2019 Taranis is only 2s voltage (8.4v I think) and the internal balance charger only for 2s.

As for lipo packs in mine, I run a regular pack, nothing special, I use a low capacity pack so after a session it’s pretty much at storage charge. I keep meaning to buy the 18650 pack for it though which I will get around too, but in the meantime I prefer smaller batteries to keep the radio light in the hand. 

Ive survived kidney failure and I charge my phone next to my pillow at night, a high C rated pack in my radio doesn’t keep me awake at night 🤣

As for above questions, different chemistry, run time depends on battery capacity and Gens Ace is a brand. 

That 2s lipo from component shop looks good, I think I’ll be getting one of those instead now. 

• Like 1

Ta for the heads up Mark my mistake. I did in the end have a butchers on T9's site.  Radio spec's do look good but now operating on a different voltage range, ok no biggy but no battery and no SD card granted not expensive to provide but really inconvenient and this will cost them customers. I'm just delving into FPV and choosing stuff for that is way harder than choosing a Tx! Good luck with the radio guys.

Tony

6 hours ago, Brett82 said:

Componentshop have some 2s lipo tx batteries in stock. Not Gen ace but is that a major issue?

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-2200mah-10c-20c-lipo-receiver-transmitter-rc-battery-vapextech.html

Thanks Brett - the only thing I don't like about that is the relatively discharge rate - the Ace Gen one only has a discharge rate of 1c .  I am a bit paranoid about Lipo batteries - i would rather them left it as was with good old nimh as the transmitter uses relatively little power anyway

5 hours ago, Marc Sinclair said:

Did you end up buying the Taranis SE taggarc?

Not yet.  It would have happened if it had not been for the battery situation & Gen Ace ones being sold out.  Obviously being bought up by people with new Taranis radios.  There was plenty of stock a week or so ago .   On what's the difference between Lipo and Lion I came across this.  I assume it applies equally to RC Transmitters.

https://www.quora.com/Which-type-of-battery-for-smartphone-is-better-Li-Ion-or-Li-Po

Hence why I want the Gen Ace lipo battery and not the "official FRSKY one" anyway   ...

• Like 1

Thanks Mark and taggarc for the  explanation and link

I though Gen Ace was yet another variety of battery type....I really need to read up on all this stuff.

Thanks for that link Brett82.  (That battery pack size is: Dimensions: 87 x 28 x 17mm Weight: 83.3g) I think I might bit the bullet on that one, just need to make sure it fits in case.

From that link you gave me taggarc which seems to sum up well the difference between Li-On/Li-Powell in this post:

Literally Li-Ion is short for Lithium Ion and Li-Po for Lithium Polymer, the -Po or -Ion ending refers to the cathode. A Li-Po battery has a polymer cathode and a solid electrolyte, while Li-ion has a carbon cathode and a liquid electrolyte. Both are rechargeable, and in a sense they accomplish the same thing. Generally speaking, Li-Ion battery is much older than Li-Po, nevertheless it’s still popular due to the low price and maintenance. Li-Po is regarded as a more advanced battery with higher specs and provides higher level of safety, hence commanding higher price than Li-Ion batteries.

Will post some pics of both the X9D Plus and the X9D Plus SE 2019 side by side and include battery case compartment size and recommended battery size in a bit. 

Might be a tight fit with battery and battery connector connected in the case that Brett82t linked to, but looking at Tony's set up I reckon it should work.  

I've placed the order from Component shop and will let you know how she blows. 

And the unit comes with a small USB cable (no wall plug charger) and a neck strap/metal balance TX offset thing-me. And like mentioned in previous posts, no SD card (cheap as chips, bought my one from Argos which included USB adaptor/larger fitting case for most PC's).  I do hope the TX  battery can be charged ok  through the supplied USB cable ( USB saves yet another plug socket and can be charge in most places like trains planes and automobiles, but I don't think running out of TX juice will be something to worry about) .   

Edited by Marc Sinclair
added charger info

This video should also give you some reference points.  The Gen Ace one is 92x 29 x16 whilst the one in Tony's link is 87x 28x 17 so smaller than the GA bar height where i think there is some tolerance anyway.  On the attached video the Gen Ace appears to go in just about width wise.  

So will order my radio albeit from Hobby RC today and probably make do with a brand new nimh battery (pull it out and charge it manually) that I have  already until I get the Gen Ace one with the lower discharge rate or- if it takes to long - buy the one from the component shop.  I can't see any advantage in the FRSKY x9d SE battery apart from its size and can't find out anything about its discharge rate 

• Thanks 1

If you’re charging the 2s lipo in the the 2019 X9D I can confirm it charges and balances great!

Its one thing I kept my eye on for the first few charges, to make sure it kept the cells in balance but mine have been spot on.

i love the USB charge port, since I use a really small battery to keep the weight down I can use a power bank to top up at the field if I need too. 

I like the smart port pins in the battery bay too, no more swapping cables around to use the module bay pins to flash rx’s etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, taggarc said:

So will order my radio albeit from Hobby RC today and probably make do with a brand new nimh battery

taggarc! I though/think  this TX only takes Li-po and Li-on batteries! Please check and confirm before you buy a nimh one for it.

Cheers

Marc 

The voltage range of the new radios means you can still use a 7.2v nimh. It’s the internal charger that’s the main thing that has changed. Ok so the upper voltage limit has been reduced also.

You can’t charge it in the radio, you would have to take it out and charge externally if you went this route. All in the specs.