Southern Winter League 2019/ 20

Gromit

It was looking so promising early in the week and a good number of pilots. 

This winter League has been  very disappointing for us all.

• 4 weeks later...

f3fBanner-300x144.png.ab3f99912bf4fb480d6a611695ac006c.png

Southern Winter lg, rd 5, Sunday February 23rd .

Entry to this competition is now OPEN.

Venues being used ;-  Whitesheet,  (NNW- SSW).  Eastbourne ( All other directions)

'Venue Advisory ;-  I will be closely following the various forecasts & will post a 'venue advisory' on Thursd 20 th at around 9.00pm.

The 'Weather call'  & 'venue confirmation' will be posted at around 8.00pm on Friday 21st,  note;- postponed if necessary until 9.00am Sat 22nd

Entries to be sent to ;-  swallacegromit@aol.com

Please include all the following info with your entry

BMFA insurance number,

Freq 2.4 or 35 meg + channel.

Important ;- Please state which venues you will travel to, ie  Whitesheet, Eastbourne, Both,  I need this information in order to make the decision as to whether we have sufficient numbers attending any given venue. 

Note;- I continue to make slow but steady progress in my recovery, I am however still a number of weeks away from any thoughts of a possible return to the slopes.

Huge thanks therefore to  Graeme, Nigel, jP & Pete who between them will be staging & running the comp.

Please note ,
Whitesheet slope closure information.

To enable the safe & successful staging of F3f competitions at Whitesheet, the Whitesheet slopes will be closed to all flying other than for that of the competition while F3f competitions are in progress.

Competitions run from 9.00am- 5.00pm (approx finish time).

The Whitesheet Committee thank you very much for your understanding & co-operation regarding this.

Stu, Whitesheet Comp Sec. 

f3fBanner-300x144.png.ab3f99912bf4fb480d6a611695ac006c.png

Southern Winter lg, rd 5 Sunday February 23rd

The entry list is building nicely .

1,  Graeme Mahoney.

2,  Nigel Whitchalls,

3,  Jon Philips,

4,  Pete Burgess.

5.  Jess Nicholls.

6.  Ian Falconer.

7.  Mark Passingham.

8.  Bruce Hudson.

9.  Graham Hill.

10.  John Treble.

11.  Greg Lewis .

12, Tony Robertson. 

13, David Woods. 

• Like 1

f3fBanner-300x144.png.14009cf94707256952a4eead0fa8939a.png

Southern Winter lg rd 5 sund 23rd feb 

Venue advisory;-  With a moderate SW -  WSW - W being forecast the venue is of course Whitesheet, 

Weather call ;- I will post this at around 8.00pm tomoz (fri 21st) . 

f3fBanner-300x144.png.073b45bc9adca99705fbe015e8008ed5.png

With the various forecasts all being unsettled especially in the morning for Sunday, I am delaying making the weather call until 9.00am tomorrow (sat 22nd). This will give us the best chance of getting a comp in.

f3fBanner-300x144.png.ce3319137396355b0f779f23085ca85f.png

Weather call;-   Having this morning discussed the latest forecasts with both Graeme & Nigel ( who were between them to have been staging &  running the comp), with persistent rain being forecast until some time up to the middle of the afternoon, I am sadly calling the comp OFF 

I wish to  give a big thank you to Graeme, Nigel, Jp & Pete for all their help in the organising of this months competition. I very much appreciate this. 

Stu Whitesheet Comp Sec.

• 4 weeks later...
Baldyslapnut

Going to be ENE if the forecast is right. Where would the Eastbourne guys fly?

Greg

Allen Elliott

East North East is a tricky one

Personally I would fly at bopeep. But not sure we could have a comp there without permission (which takes time), probably be butts lane that has an east and a north slope but two are split by a ridge that cuts straight through the ENE.

I would hazard a guess we would fly one of the corners of one of the bowls at butts lane

But I doubt we would get the number as most of the winter league flyers come from West of white sheet 😭

Unfortunately we have lost a good 4 or 5 of our F3F pilots over the last couple of years, so we struggle making up the number on our own

Baldyslapnut

Morning Allen,

Looks like 28 mph mean wind speed and gusting into the late 30's on Sunday. Bopeep would be very good.

I doubt there would be any para or hang gliders if that forecast is correct.

Without being negative one of the reasons people shy away from doing the Southern League events is not distance but the quality of slope.

I would hope if it was on Bopeep we could persuade people to attend as it is a great hill for F3F.

Greg

Hi All,

I am presently awaiting on a few details / confirmation regarding next wknds competition. (Sund March 22nd) . Rest assured I will post again asap / as soon as I have this info. 

Stu. 

Allen Elliott
1 hour ago, Baldyslapnut said:

Morning Allen,

Looks like 28 mph mean wind speed and gusting into the late 30's on Sunday. Bopeep would be very good.

I doubt there would be any para or hang gliders if that forecast is correct.

Without being negative one of the reasons people shy away from doing the Southern League events is not distance but the quality of slope.

I would hope if it was on Bopeep we could persuade people to attend as it is a great hill for F3F.

Greg

I have sent the enquiry to Firle estates for permission to fly at Bopeep,  just in case

Cant promise they will reply in time but if the derision goes that way then I have tried  :)

I shall ignore the quality of slope comment and just say more quality of pilots 👹

• Like 1

Allen Elliott

I have had confirmation that we can Fly the League at Bopeep should we need to :)

"so long as we do not interfere with livestock or people using rights of way and car park"