Lundy 2023

Joe Cubitt

So, do we have anyone out there that would like to join us for the trip to Lundy. We have a few spare beds in the barn. 
as I’ve mentioned before, the barn has a well equipped kitchen should you wish to cater for yourself. However, the pub food is very nice and not too pricey. The island has a well stocked shop too. So, if you fancy joining us then please drop me a pm. You’d be made most welcome and I guarantee you’ll enjoy yourself.

cheers

Joe.

Ric

i forgot to get back to you about slope flying near Bideford and Ilfracombe. There is a south facing slope just south of Barnstaple to the east of a village called Bishops Tawton. I’ve not flown there myself but have seen guys on you tube using it. There’s also a you tuber called Nick Chitty flying. He flys from the west facing Woolacoombe downs and Along the dunes at the foot of the ridgeway. I’ve only had a little correspondence with Nick and plan to meet up with him during our winter Motorhome trips. 
might be an idea to hook up with him on face book for directions to the slope. Nice chap and he’s involved with designs for Andy Whitehead at Angel Wings Designs.

• Thanks 1

chiloschista

Thanks Joe!

I found those on Slopehunter and let give them a try.

My plans are to arrive in Bideford on Wednesday late afternoon, so I have Thursday and Friday to chill around.

Will see if I can contact Nick.

I will stay a couple of days in Ilfracombe too, at the end of the week. Still undecided what to do next: go fly on Bwlch, South coast?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joe Cubitt said:

No Problem Harri

ill call the shore office on Monday morning and sort it all out with them.

JP. I’m guessing you are bringing a box. Hopefully still joining us for at least part of the week?

Hi Joe

yes I’m there till Tuesday, not worked out a plan yet 🙄

I be at Bideford nice and early on the 2nd, as to box probably. Will I be able to carry a plane on the boat do you know?
I thinking of only have one glider with me, and that fits in a bag. 
let me know as I can take more if a box is going, I did try and sort out the boat but they got confused with me coming back Tuesday but I will ring again in the week, I’m sure if I get the right person it will be sorted.

JP

• Like 1

Joe,

Note that arrive to UK (Heathrow) late afternoon 1st September so it's likely that I can't reach Bideford before late night. So for me it's better if the boxes can be loaded next morning (2nd September).

23 hours ago, Joe Cubitt said:

John and Mark

have you already organised and paid for your boxes?

No, I haven’t done this yet. Neither have I ordered our traditional black pudding!

I shall be bringing the Graecalis box without the Graecalis, which proved harder to fix than I imagined. I’ve almost finished work on the wings, but the fuselage is untouched.

I’ll look after this Joe.

John

No problem John

I’ll just deal with the boxes for the Barn occupants.

JP. You will not need to pay for a model box. If your models are packed into a single soft snow board type bag, then all you’ll need to do, is hand it to one of the Oldenburg staff who will safely place it behind the information desk on board.

Hi guys

Just to confirm that I’ve paid for four boxes ( Joe, Andy, Ric and Harri).  The ‘not so Little’ Gromit and JP will be able to hand their models over to the Oldenburg staff (Elf and Safety policy) who will take care of them for the duration of the sailing.

To keep the spread of costs down for the Barn, we really need some more camp mates. I’m trying my hardest this end to gain recruits. Any luck with you guys?. Adam, are you listening in?.

Not long now.

Joe.

• Thanks 1

chiloschista

Hi Joe,

thank you! Let me know how to refund you all the expenses.

In the afternoon I'm going to phone for personal travel ticket.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone that could join in the barn for the week.

For the parking and transfer bus, I guess we can organize that on site, isn't it?

Cheers,

Ric

P.s., stuff to bring:

- sharpening tools!

1 hour ago, chiloschista said:

For the parking and transfer bus, I guess we can organize that on site, isn't it?

Cheers,

Ric

Looks like some 40 min drive between Bideford and Ilfracombe. If we can load the boxes early in Biderford, there might be time to go and park some cars to Ilfracombe. The Shore office states that the additional boxes can't be taken to the transfer coach.

3 hours ago, Joe Cubitt said:

Hi guys

Just to confirm that I’ve paid for four boxes ( Joe, Andy, Ric and Harri).  The ‘not so Little’ Gromit and JP will be able to hand their models over to the Oldenburg staff (Elf and Safety policy) who will take care of them for the duration of the sailing.

To keep the spread of costs down for the Barn, we really need some more camp mates. I’m trying my hardest this end to gain recruits. Any luck with you guys?. Adam, are you listening in?.

Not long now.

Joe.

Adam won’t be in the country when we are on Lundy 

Hi chaps

I’m working on a plan re box transport from Ilfracombe back to Bideford on our return.

my van will be parked in Ilfracombe. We jump off the boat, put the boxes in the van. You all grab the coach and I’ll follow you all back to Bideford. 
I know! I’m a genius.

Oh

there’s a flaw to my plan. I’ve just remembered that JP leaves Tuesday and Harri leaves on the Thursday.

I’m having a re think

chiloschista
6 minutes ago, Joe Cubitt said:

Hi chaps

I’m working on a plan re box transport from Ilfracombe back to Bideford on our return.

my van will be parked in Ilfracombe. We jump off the boat, put the boxes in the van. You all grab the coach and I’ll follow you all back to Bideford. 
I know! I’m a genius.

Perfect plan, but I already booked a room in Ilfracombe 😅

How do you come back from Ilfracombe to Bideford on 2/9?

I believe it’s all to do with the tides and day trippers. There are not many sailings per year from Bideford.  Having booked this week nearly two years ago it was just the luck of the draw.

chiloschista

Good morning,

I thought it would have been easier this time: no chances!

At third attempt, I finally was able to contact by phone the shore office. They asked me for a reference number for the barn booking. No way to book the boat ticket or pay it in advance without it, despite giving dates, Joe's name reference etc.

Joe, could you please provide me that reference number, so I get back to them by email and then (I'll avoid you the rest...)? Thanks!

Ric

P.s.: plenty of questions about booking the coach or not too ...

21 minutes ago, chiloschista said:

Good morning,

I thought it would have been easier this time: no chances!

At third attempt, I finally was able to contact by phone the shore office. They asked me for a reference number for the barn booking. No way to book the boat ticket or pay it in advance without it, despite giving dates, Joe's name reference etc.

Joe, could you please provide me that reference number, so I get back to them by email and then (I'll avoid you the rest...)? Thanks!

Ric

P.s.: plenty of questions about booking the coach or not too ...

it does seem to be very much a lottery as to who you get, as they asked me the same questions on accommodation but accepted that Joe was the organizer and I was in the Barn . 

How ever I have now booked all my parking and the friday night hotel in Bideford so I'm pretty much sorted .

Andy