New design - need opinions and suggestion

conwy soarer

isoaritfirst

Gonesoaring2003 said:

Ok so I guess the only question left is one only Jon can answer:- Why is a legendary dog splashed across the wing of his OD?
  I read that quickly as why a legendary dog had slashed across the wing, wonder if its considered as lucky.

Gonesoaring2003

isoaritfirst said:

Gonesoaring2003 said:

Ok so I guess the only question left is one only Jon can answer:- Why is a legendary dog splashed across the wing of his OD?

rolling.gif
 I read that quickly as why a legendary dog had slashed across the wing, wonder if its considered as lucky.

Maybe thats why Jon has covered it in yellow film?laughing.gif

conwy soarer

Gonesoaring2003 said:

Maybe thats why Jon has covered it in yellow film?laughing.gif
No the yellow is my wife's fault, she wanted lime green but the local aquarists shop which also sells modelling stuff didn't have any so she chose yellow or metallic blue, I ruled out the blue as I thought it was to old school, it was the same colour of my old Cheapskate built from an old RM free plan 20 or 30 odd years ago - so yellow it was.Jon

conwy soarer

Woodstock said:

There was a plane called a "Cheapskate" eek.gif?  Wow.
Yep it was actually from RCM&E not RM 36" span designed it was designed by Clive Smalley, I had already made Orange Box and Bluebottle (free with Aeromodeller) I still have the plan even. Just had a look to see if I could find a pic, there is a copy of the mag on ebay now - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RCM-.....1115wt_905

conwy soarer

Fubar said:

£6 + p&p for an old mag, Jeezus I have thrown away a fortune in the past.frustrated.gif
thinking of it at these prices I still have a fortune in boxes in the workshop, I told my wife its worth keeping them. I ve RM & RCME going back to the late 70s also most RCMW going back to the mid 80s. Not sure if I would part with them though.

Not Sure you would part with them !!             That's Because as modellers we hoard every possible thing that may come in usefull one day wink.gif                                                            One Day grin.gif                                                                 Bob

conwy soarer

Well the gear is in and its ready to go once its been recharged.Stats if I have got my maths right are:All up weight at the current C of G - 319 g  11.3 ozWing area - 1113 cm²  1.2 ft²which hopefully means a wing loading of -  0.16 g/cm²   9.41 oz/ft²I only have my compact camera with me but hopefully my wife will manage to get some flight test shots either tomorrow or Tuesday. Jon

conwy soarer

Well the weather gods were good to me today, 10mph SSW forecast with broken cloud - we headed for Hunt's Bay on the Gower. I had a bit of a blast with the Weasel and FF just to check out the lift etc.

After 10 or so minutes I decided to give the Gelert a chuck into the unkown. I needn't have worried she flew nice and straight from the hand launch making good use of the lift available, I only had to input a couple of beeps of up trim to see her flying nice and happy. Within a minute I had it blasting up and down the slope doing fast an low passes with the occasional couple of rolls. My wife was complainig that it was to fast for her to catch on the camera which was only a P&S compact.

After 10 or so minutes of mucking around I thought I had better do some tests.  Dive test was pretty neutral which was a good guess/calculation. Inverted flight only required a slight forward pressure on the stick, rolls were pretty axial with the diff that I had dialled in, loops were good with good energy retention for such a little beast, outside loops were also not a problem.

Tight  over elevated loops at speed seem to induce a wierd tumbling manoeuvre which looks kinda cool recovery is quick. Bunts are OK provided entry is fast enough. Landings were a doddle in the 15 -18 mph winds and I did not use the spoileron function for landing. All in all I am very pleased with the model, there are a few mods I will build in to the 2nd prototype including a rudder!! I will post the video as soon as it is online.

P1030421.jpg

P1030432.jpg

P1030470.jpg

P1030935.jpg

Jon