North West Slopers

Rooster-X

Pretty still up Parlick managed to just self launch the Vega as the tail scraped the edge of the slope. Managed to scratch about for 20 min before she landed out on the side of the slope. Will just have to wait for lift but it is pleasant enough sat in the sun :)

Wind picked up been flying the Cyril, scary fast, scary spiral spin as well, don't turn into the slope :) Too cold with this North Westerly wind so off home, been a good day out!

Might be time to back the elevator throw off on the Cyril, those flicks are far too exciting!

Walked up Ingleborough to see the Jubilee beacon last night - great experience as the weather couldn't have been better.

The local fell running club carried the torch up from Ingleton and lit the beacon at 10:15pm - that in itself was pretty cool but then as it got darker you could see tens of beacons on all the other peaks in the area - the lake district in particular looked amazing with beacons on Black coumb, Old man etc...

Some photos here:

http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj520/floydupton/Queen%20Jubilee/

isoaritfirst

We were up on top of cefn Bryn, on the Gower. We could see around 7 others from tenby round to lynton are

• 1 month later...

Paul and I managed to beat XC-liar tonight with some gorgeous sunshine and big lift up Barbon, wind was square onto the slope, blowing about 30 mph with mild thermal activity.

Tried some different settings with the Cyril, CoG forward, less elevator but ended up back where I started, at least I tried ;) Just love the active, flickable set up I've got I guess.

The slope lift was weird, lovely smooth lift about 50 ft off the slope edge, but a little turbulent and bumpy close in. EM style turn worked the best, until a thermal came through then you could use the reversal turn. Both Paul and I got some good 30 sec air that scared me silly and put a smile on Paul's face, fantastic stuff. The bad air wasn't all that bad, once you loaded up with ballast and tried to keep those EM turns flat and smooth.

With both of us taking turns to fly the edge, I found it easy to park her in the sky high above (150 ft above the edge) just by switching in a little camber flap. It's nice to have massive compression again after flying Levisham a couple of weeks ago where I am always struggling for height after a run to make a landing.

Only dampener on the night was I bent a flap linkage on final landing, which was strange as the landing looked fine, must have caught a tuft of grass or something. The air was pretty dead 5ft off the deck, guess I better keep some speed for landing next time. Fortunately it looks as if I might have got away with it as I re-dialed the neutral point on my TX and it appears OK now. Will have a closer inspection tomorrow night just to check the servo hasn't come adrift. Also noticed slight damage to both flap wiper seals in the middle of the flap, don't know what's caused this but they are not fouling on the wing skins, maybe somthing to do with the RDS perhaps?

Tom

isoaritfirst

Strange things go on with the Cyril flaps.

On two occasions mine has ended up with an out of centre flap after a slightly heavier landing than ideal.

First time I put the model away to look at when I got home. But later inspection and it was all ok.

Second time it did it I stripped it all down and had a good look but could find no reason why. I suspected that the servo rds collar had slipped, so removed it - but it was very firmly stuck and took a lot of effort and heat to remove - so it wasn't that.

Put it all back and its been fine since.

• Like 1

Well had a quick look last night and couldn't find anything wrong with it, servo worked ok, nothing was loose or broken, no slop in linkage. I didn't want to take out the linkage and compare it to the other side as that was more trouble than it's worth as I'm still getting equal throws both sides, will just be even more careful when landing her fully ballasted :)

ive got the same issue with damage on the wiper at the flap rds actuation point Tom .............its a pain in the **** as it does foul and ive got fed up of cutting it down now

Mines not fouling yet, but am tempted to cut it back just to be on the safe side now that I know its a common problem. No F3F is perfect I guess, but I'm still loving the Cyril. The poor Xenon hasn't had a look in since and the Artist needs tarting up and selling.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody going up Pendle tonight? Got the Cyril in the car and the sun is shining but no favourable winds in Sunny Bentham so a trip further a field is required.

Went up Little Ingle in the end, 50 minute walk up in the hot August sunshine even at 5:00pm in the evening after work. Paraglider was coming down the slope as I begun the climb, which was pretty impressive seeing as the wind was going the opposite direction, but he soon found a thermal and turned around to fly around Ingleborough. I felt pretty unfit as I huffed and puffed my way up the climb, amazing to think last time I was up here four months ago on a Mountain Bike I steamed up the climb, oh well.

Of course when I got to the summit there was no wind and that was the last I saw of the sun as a giant cloud shaded the top of the mountain, strange as the rest of the North West was bathed in sunshine, I could see as far as Pendle Hill to the South, Lake District to the North and the forest of windmills out in Morecambe bay all bathed in brilliant sunshine, apart from me.

I settled down to a sandwich and whiled away 40 min waiting for the wind to strengthen above the 2mph breeze, I lamented the fact I still hadn't fixed my M60 as I would of quite happily chucked it off the steep slope, but I didn't want to risk the Cyril, it is precious to me :)

I watched walkers in the distance traversing the many paths across Ingleborough, and counted twenty something brightly coloured tents at the permanent encampment around gaping Ghyll that the pot holing folk have set up. A Dog was barking at the campsite, which carried over on the weak evening breeze.

One walker had come across the moor below me and then started walking along the path to Little Ingle, I shouted hello at him and he came across to talk to me. He'd been looking for plane wreckage, as a Cessna had crashed on the Moor last year, but I told him that they sent a Chinook up to carry it away. He then admitted he had thought the shiny protective foil on my model had been a bit of plane wreckage and that's why he had come over. He had some strange large bag over his shoulder as well as a big rucksack, he then walked back to the top of Inglebourough and started flying a large Kite which he staked to the ground, bizarre :confused: .

Once the wind had got up to about 5mph, I put 4 slugs (200g) of ballast in the Cyril Fuse and chucked her off, although the wind was light, the lift was silky smooth and consistent with little thermal activity, the compression had a ceiling height of about 80 - 120ft above me which was plenty. The slope edge is well defined and straight with a rounded grassy edge, which becomes very steep and rocky, but its not a cliff. I dived in for some reversal practise, but there wasn't quite enough energy to keep the height as she got lower and lower on the slope. I found that she needed quite a lot of down trim as well, eventually got her trimmed out (maybe the ballast is putting CoG out) and then I practised EM turn style which was very satisfying and hypnotic, close in to the slope edge which I find psychologically easier on grassy edge slopes rather than rocky ones for obvious reasons. I eventually got my turns perfectly rounded and the model flew hands off point to point, eerily quiet, had that Eureka moment as I realised that she only makes any noise when you put control movements in, i.e. drag!

Still putting that sort of flight plan together is easy in buttery smooth consistent light air on my own, nice and relaxed, it will be a different matter on the race circuit in stonking lift, still practice and perfect and all that ;)

The landing was a non-event, just landed a little back between the path and the slope edge, the air was pretty dead, so had to come in low over the path, crow on early in the turn then full crow down nearly to the deck, and release to plonk her down on soft grass, and that was me done for the night, wonder where I'll go tomorrow :rollyeyes:

• Like 3