Thermal or not?

Comps have many plus points and few negatives.

Give it a go.

'Radioglide' is happening at the end of this month, meet all the BARCS flat field flyers, fly and have a pint (or two!).

Lots of options for staying nearby.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my first time flying DLGs her in sunny Shropshire today.

I was flying a Throw It that I had of my mate Phil.

I think this must be more luck than anything else but managed to hit a monster thermal that took me up into the blue sky like a love struck Angle. 

Just download the data from the Taranas transmitter and reached an height of 416mrt.

I started to struggle to see at that height so bailed out.

Looking forward to the next outing.

• Like 1

I know the feeling of self doubt too when it comes to comps!

Went along to watch and take some photos last year. All the guys looked the part and knew what they were doing with all the rounds. I find just the launching and flying a challenge let alone getting my head around the different tasks..

Haha YEP! i am finally back out with a 1.5m model and my launches suck! then not to mention trying to find lift or having to figure out the tasks in a comp.

Although i am going to go along to one soon, mainly to observe and meet everyone but will have a model in the car should anyone be able to test fly for me to see what they think and hopefully get lots of tips throughout the day.

Richard Swindells

I'm looking into arranging a dlg day... No competition just a launch clinic... Q and A session and then lots of - all up\ last down

• Like 2

That would be awesome Richard, always flying alone you never know if you are doing things right, plane set up well, your launch style etc. With launching even though you (me) try to throw in way that feels 'right' from what you have seen and read, apart from filming yourself, you don't know if what you are doing is actually indeed correct.

There's only so much you can learn from reading about this stuff so a day flying with you and getting some training/tuition would be excellent.  

Thank you 

21 hours ago, Richard Swindells said:

I'm looking into arranging a dlg day... No competition just a launch clinic... Q and A session and then lots of - all up\ last down

We'd be up for that Richard. There's 3 or 4 of us in Shropshire now finding our feet together and would love an opportunity to help us improve. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a great idea, I'd certainly try to come along. Would it be practical to try flying different models? Maybe peoples old/uncompetitive ones perhaps but for those without an F3K model (me) that would be valuable experience. Or course this might not be practical/comfortable for the owners of said models!

Jon

I am happy for people to fly my models (mode 2) if I can keep one hand on the TX and the model is at a safe height!  (Snipe, Bonus, Twister II.)    I also have one Twister II that I would let people try launching.

Mike, Simon, that would be very cool! I suppose it would be possible to set up a buddy box and someone else launch - if it were felt to be necessary. I suppose it would depend on who and what was flying.

I have a couple of mates just getting into DLG who would probably be keen to attend something like this.

Jon

Richard Swindells
On 5/15/2016 at 18:54, CTR said:

I know the feeling of self doubt too when it comes to comps!

Went along to watch and take some photos last year. All the guys looked the part and knew what they were doing with all the rounds. I find just the launching and flying a challenge let alone getting my head around the different tasks..

There are a lot of people who find the rules a little bit daunting..

I think enough so that there might be a case for something more simple. (What might be worthwhile would be having a slot in each round for beginners, just flying one of the simpler tasks all day?)

The biggest issue is finding enough newcommers to make this viable.

For the introduction day I am planning, I expect it to be much later in the year (late september/october). This will give me enough time to organised and advertise properly as I'd like to aim for at least 20 attendees (not including those of us who will be offering help & advice). The event will be free.

• Like 1

Richard's DLG Introduction day sounds really good and I'll be pleased to help with it if I can.

If people who expressed an interest above want to do something sooner than that, we could have a small gathering on a field, perhaps south of Birmingham. That should suit the four people who have posted as far as I can see.   You find the field and help will arrive.  M40/M42 area?

Perhaps there's a public field or a club south of Brum that would host us for the day?  I'll start another thread to see if we can find something.

Hi all,

I just posted in 'Come and try DLG'. which crosses over this topic.

In my opinion, as a raw beginner, the launch stage is the only significant hurdle to be overcome compared to any other glider flying. Once someone can achieve half reasonable launches, they have the chance to practice, practice, practice. (and hopefully avoid an expensive learning curve).

I think the opportunity of gaining a sound understanding of the launch techniques and necessary programming to support this would go a long way to encouraging newcomers.

Definitely count me in! (but need to get a Taranis program and understanding of the essentials of the launch flight mode stages sorted first).

lorrygreen
36 minutes ago, CTR said:

Hi all,

I just posted in 'Come and try DLG'. which crosses over this topic.

In my opinion, as a raw beginner, the launch stage is the only significant hurdle to be overcome compared to any other glider flying. Once someone can achieve half reasonable launches, they have the chance to practice, practice, practice. (and hopefully avoid an expensive learning curve).

I think the opportunity of gaining a sound understanding of the launch techniques and necessary programming to support this would go a long way to encouraging newcomers.

Definitely count me in! (but need to get a Taranis program and understanding of the essentials of the launch flight mode stages sorted first).

I see you are just north of Milton Keynes?

Why not come along to Radioglide next Monday, just have a chat, see how other people have their models set-up and check out the various launch techniques (or lack of)?

I know it's a comp but with only 9 entries there will be plenty of time for chatting......

I was thinking about it but as it was a comp' wasn't sure.

Which day/days? Is it worth bringing the Taranis and DLG for setup help?

lorrygreen
1 hour ago, CTR said:

I was thinking about it but as it was a comp' wasn't sure.

Which day/days? Is it worth bringing the Taranis and DLG for setup help?

While it is a comp I doubt that we will be pressed for time, unless Mike is planning on having much more than 8 or 10 rounds.

I'm a Futaba person myself but there are some Taranis flyers around who may be able to help.

Just come along and see what happens.

If things go to form we will spend most of the day sheltering in our cars trying to avoid getting trench foot and/or hypothermia with just enough rounds to count as a comp.

I am confident that this year the weather gods are going to smile on us for once.:thumbsup: